ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects CS4 Rendering - Skipping

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Reid
After Effects CS4 Rendering - Skipping
on Jun 5, 2010 at 8:27:22 am

Hi there! I am a SUPER BEGINNER in After Effects and need some serious help. I have a project that is 1 1/2 minutes long. I have sent the final comp to the render queue several times and to File > Export several times. All 10-12 renderings I have finished wound up in HD quality (YAY!), but they all eiter skip and the music is completely off or the image is too slow for the music. I need help figuring out why they all do that and how I can get a great looking composition rendering without any skipping or "slowness"!

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions/comments!

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
Re: After Effects CS4 Rendering - Skipping
on Jun 5, 2010 at 2:21:30 pm

You probably rendered to a very high quality and large size. Nice, but your computer's drive is probably too slow to play it back smoothly.

High-quality files are meant for transfer of files between applications for further processing. For smooth playback, you need to compress the files to get a smaller file size and thus lower data rate.

What is your final deliverable?
Who is it for?
What machine is supposed to play it?

Return to posts index

Evan Reid
on Jun 5, 2010 at 8:33:40 pm

Well I don't know what you mean by "final deliverable", but the movie is intended to be an intro video for an event at my church. I want it to play on our overhead projector - a Dell PC (I don't know its specs).

I will try a lower quality video rendering and let you know how that goes. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Jun 7, 2010 at 1:04:25 pm

The final deliverable is the thing you deliver to the client at the end of the job. It would be described as a DVD or a quicktime movie for laptop playback, for example.

The projector is secondary. What is primary is the playback device for the movie: hard drive or DVD player?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 7, 2010 at 5:26:40 pm

You also mention "HD".

Well, I bet you're not working with real-live HD, but rather HDV, and HDV's not good to use in AE. Case in point: it can cause your videos to skip on playback. Here, read up on it:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Evan Reid
on Jun 8, 2010 at 12:45:08 am

Hi Dave! Actually, my situation is odd. I downloaded a complete AE project off a website and it is awesome. It comes with pre-rendered MOV footage and some audio. I'm not having trouble playing the MOV footage, its just the entire project won't render out correctly. I have a Toshiba 64 bit laptop. What render settings/options do either you or Steve suggest?

Remeber: I'M A BEGINNER! Talk to me in baby-steps. Sorry.

Return to posts index

Evan Reid
on Jun 8, 2010 at 12:42:21 am

Well... The projector is hooked up to a Dell PC. I was hoping to play the video once saved to its hard-drive. I was going to play the video through a program called EasyWorship - plays ALL video files.

Return to posts index

Evan Reid
on Jun 8, 2010 at 5:45:09 am

Hey guys! I finally figured out the right settings to use. I just finished a rendering that looks BEAUTIFUL and matches up with my sound without any skipping. Here's what I did:

I sent my comp to the render queue. I changed the output mode to Quicktime Movie with a Photo-JPEG compression set at 94%. I checked on the audio output box as well. THAT'S IT!

Thank you guys anyway for all of your encouraging advice.

God bless!

Evan

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Jun 8, 2010 at 4:05:22 pm

Excellent.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]