ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Flash CS4 swf to AE CS4, black haloing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett UnderhillFlash CS4 swf to AE CS4, black haloing
by on Jun 4, 2010 at 4:14:30 pm

I am importing a swf (with a white background) into AE and am getting a dark halo around the edge of the swf. I have tried to change the premultiplication settings in the interpret footage menu, but nothing seems to change. Any ideas on how to remove this dark halo? I am beginning to think animating it in AE is my only recourse.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey KaplanRe: Flash CS4 swf to AE CS4, black haloing
by on Jun 4, 2010 at 4:57:58 pm

Is there really a white solid background or is that white background that from the flash 'artboard?' Do you have the flash project with you or did someone give you the .swf?

Jeff Kaplan
Point 360 WEST
Animation & VFX Department
http://www.point360west.com

Return to posts index

Brett UnderhillRe: Flash CS4 swf to AE CS4, black haloing
by on Jun 4, 2010 at 5:01:02 pm

There is no background, the white is the artboard. It is a character with an alpha around him. I am creating everything so I have the fla file as well.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 4, 2010 at 6:13:41 pm

...and is a white background desired or did you want something with an alpha channel? Personally - I'm not a fan of using .swf files in AE - try exporting a .png sequence instead. Go to File > Export > Export Movie - then set the file type to PNG sequence- select "24 bit with alpha channel" if desired.

Jeff Kaplan
Point 360 WEST

Return to posts index

by on Jun 4, 2010 at 6:21:20 pm

Thanks again for your help, Jeff. The animated swf character is being composited over a background in AE so the swf's alpha is desired. That's why I'm surprised there is a black halo around the swf character, it looks as if there is a matte that needs to be smoothed out but I can't figure out how to do that. I would animate it all in AE, but it is so much easier and quicker to import vector elements from AI to Flash rather than AI to AE. AE requires more set up time as it flattens out everything on each layer, while Flash retains all of the layer paths. It just requires more setup, but it looks as though that is what I will need to do if I cannot get rid of the dark halo.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 4, 2010 at 6:52:38 pm

You'll be fine using flash - just export the PNG sequence with alpha - that's what I use to composite all of my Flash Animations.

If you want to try to stick with the SWF file then make sure when you interpret the footage it is set to Straight Alpha rather than Premultiplied.

Jeff Kaplan
Point 360 WEST

Return to posts index

by on Jun 4, 2010 at 7:03:32 pm

Hmm..I had it on Straight Alpha to start with, so I'm not sure why I'm still getting the dark matte-like halo. I'll give the png sequence a shot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]