ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS5 pre render

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mathew lisett
AE CS5 pre render
on Jun 4, 2010 at 1:57:44 pm

ok so i set the pre rending going and before i went to sleep last night it had just over 2.3 hours to go.

i wake up and i see its back doing some previous scenes...how ever seems to be goign faster and now has just over 3 hours to render.

does pre render do a 2 pass render. Or is there soemthign i dont know.

Is this how the nise filter works, by rendering several times and getting quicker each time to adjust what the user has set for perfection?

useing AE CS5

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AE CS5 pre render
on Jun 4, 2010 at 2:40:19 pm

Since we know nothing about the size of your layers, the type of footage you're using, 2D / 3D, number of lights, layers casting/accepting shadows, the types of effects applied and to what they're applied, multiprocessing setup, using Open GL for render acceleration, your system, your OS or your RAM, we'd have to use crystal balls to answer your question.

Would that be okay?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

mathew lisett
on Jun 4, 2010 at 3:22:45 pm

2d footage ie normal .
using the neat video plugn for noise reduction
windows 7 x64
q6600 chip to 3.51ghz
6gb ddr2 memory

using Open GL for render acceleration

ive had issues with open gl for some reason, ive had crash messages and to dis allow it. apparantly same issue that was in cs4

and yes my starter message was rather rubbish so i grant you that.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 4, 2010 at 3:48:47 pm

inotis you dint mentoin type of fotag you use it colud be aproblm is ti hdv

so you hsould turnoff mulpritossng and open gl and rty agian. youdont have enuogh mmory to use mulpritossng

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

mathew lisett
on Jun 4, 2010 at 3:58:51 pm

lol wow and you had a go at me for spelling .

sweat jesus even i cant understand what you put and i dyslexic.

ok think i understood last bit about memory, saying that becuase im running up to 5gb of meory of my 6gb meory, that its likey the reaosn the pre rendering is giving up?

Return to posts index

mathew lisett
on Jun 4, 2010 at 5:53:59 pm

another thing, does the pre render do several passes, becuase it did a full 24 hours and had 2 hours to go, i wake up 8 hours later to see the progress back has gone bacwards and state 4 hours.

what is it doing, or does it do 2-3 passes before being done with the pre rendering?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 4, 2010 at 8:15:05 pm

Okay, here's the deal -- there are a few things that can slow down a render:
using multiprocessing when you don't have enough RAM, and you don't have enough...
using Open GL to accelerate rendering, and most often you shouldn't...
Not having the upgrade to AE 9.0.2, if it applies in your case...
and using the wrong type of video footage in AE:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

So far with AE 10, the footage problems seem to be less of a big deal. If you have AE 10, you probably don't have to worry about it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

mathew lisett
on Jun 4, 2010 at 8:18:53 pm

ok, software is fully updated on v10.

how ever it could be the compression. so your saying have it go to quicktime mov loseless. whats the png or animation do?

and as before it is normal for the pre render to do a 24 hour and then do another lap of like 6 hours? or is this an example of it going wrong and not coping with the system specs.

andyes i understand about the memory.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 4, 2010 at 8:24:05 pm

Your situation is NOT normal.

The reason you would convert footage to PNG or Animation BEFORE you import into AE is to convert the footage to a NON-temporally-compressed codec, which can screw up a render.

And it does sound like you've got some settings wrong, but I sure don't know what they would be.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

mathew lisett
on Jun 4, 2010 at 8:30:33 pm

ok thanks.

could you tell me how to replace the file format quicktime animation when i replace the footage as to not lose all the settings of the editing i have done.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 4, 2010 at 10:44:47 pm

http://aftereffects.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=938021-...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

mathew lisett
on Jun 4, 2010 at 10:52:05 pm

thank you

am i correct in thinking i can still do this as a single movement even though the previous edit has split layers, or am i to do it on every split layer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 4, 2010 at 10:53:50 pm

Highlight 'em all in the timeline, and do the replace command. Works like a charm.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

mathew lisett
on Jun 4, 2010 at 10:55:01 pm

so highlight them all and press alt and drag the file over is that what you mean

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]