ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Using Hi Rez images

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John CrossmanUsing Hi Rez images
by on Jun 3, 2010 at 9:36:39 pm

I am trying to use a very large jepg file, 21k x 21k. When it's imported it says "Can't create image buffer 21000x21000 memory might be fragnmented try reducing RAM useage and/or turning on disc cashe.
I tried this and still get error. 8GB on Mac, [was using 50% downgraded to 25%] Disc cash set at 10000.
Is there a limit to the size file you can use?

The reason I am using a large file is to be able to zoom in from very wide to very tight and keep resolution... yes a world map kind of thing.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Using Hi Rez images
by on Jun 3, 2010 at 11:06:45 pm

If this is for a paying customer, it's time to invest in your business.

You'll need a computer capable of running a 64 bit OS like Snow Leopard or Win 7, AE 10 (aka CS5), and a whole boatload of RAM. Think in terms of 32GB. More wouldn't hurt.

AE 10 can use 4GB/core when in multiprocessing mode, but it can also use more than that to handle super-huge images like yours.

You already know what happens to AE when it doesn't have enough RAM for big images.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nicholas TothRe: Using Hi Rez images
by on Jun 4, 2010 at 2:21:46 am

Why don't you do the whole parenting/dissolve infinite zoom?

I think has something along those lines. Then you can scale animate 1k or 2k images, and dissolve them, which might complicate your project, but is much easier to work with. It makes much more sense and is much more efficient than zooming a 21k image. It'll also save you plenty of render time.

Nicholas Toth
Freelance Animator

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved