ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Upgrading to Windows 7 & CS5 simultaneously = Headaches

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff GandillonUpgrading to Windows 7 & CS5 simultaneously = Headaches
by on Jun 3, 2010 at 4:15:10 pm

I'm new to these forums and new to the 64-bit OS world and I have a lot to learn.

My company upgraded from CS3 Production Premium to CS5 Production Premium, which meant we also had to upgrade from Windows XP (32-bit) to Windows 7 (64-bit). My current issue is that After Effects CS5 is not correctly interpreting video that was exported from our old Avid system, which After Effects CS3 had no problem with once we had installed the old Avid codec on the our XP machines. We installed the codec on our Windows 7 test machine (we only upgraded 1 for now to see what would happen) and Windows Media Player learned it and can play back the old Avid codec .AVIs (it lists the codec as "Avid AVI Codec 1.08" on the "Support Information for WIndows Media Player" page). When we try to use the old Avid files in AE CS5 it imports without complaint, but there is no video, only audio.

Is there a way to get CS5 to use old codecs? Is there a better way to not have to abandon our old Avid exports?

jeff g

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Upgrading to Windows 7 & CS5 simultaneously = Headaches
by on Jun 3, 2010 at 4:47:15 pm

I'd start by checking the Avid technical support pages to see if they have new 64-bit codecs that can read the legacy footage properly. I'd also ask about this on the COW's Avid forum. You can't be the only Avid user who's encountered this problem.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved