ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

formats

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jason zalogaformats
by on Jun 2, 2010 at 10:22:39 pm

project

make video for 1st birthday on dvd to be played on a widescreen TV.

settings i'm thinking for output from after effects.
if I use animation codec the files come out very high. and unplayable at times(choppiness)
if i use H.264 they are way more manageable and play smooth.

I read that mpeg H.264 is for dvd.

if I use animation(choppiness) do i need a compression software. same for mpeg H.264

i've been reading that people are losing quality to there pics do to size/pixel.

idvd is what i was going to load my dvd just because it came with the computer.

i'm looking for project setting recommendations for both compressing pre-dvd (software to be used-cheap)
and will idvd do the job.

project settings

time code base= auto
ntsc drop frame

color setting= 8bits or should i do16
working space=? not sure

audio settings=44.100khz

comp settings

preset=hdtv 1080 29.97 1920x1080 16:9 aspect or?

render settings output

format=quicktime

format options video codec=H.264 or animation
check mark 1 keyframe every 1 frame

bitrate?

sound codec=apple lossless

and yes i am not an avid video user. i did not read the manual. and the formats are to me confusing.

thanks everyone.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: formats
by on Jun 2, 2010 at 10:31:29 pm

Easiest way for DVD (assuming you want a regular DVD and not Blue Ray):
Use a QuickTime NTSC DV Widescreen preset on export(this will squeeze the video in a 4:3 frame, but it will look right on a 16:9 tv). You will have to resize (stretch) your footage to the same preset. Render out the .mov file and drop it in your iDVD 16:9 preset project. Burn to DVD and you are done.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

jason zalogaRe: formats
by on Jun 2, 2010 at 11:43:53 pm

what do you mean by "You will have to resize (stretch) your footage to the same preset"

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: formats
by on Jun 2, 2010 at 10:32:03 pm

Sorry, but you'll have to read up on iDVD: find out if it can use a form of video like QT's Animation codec to create the actual MPEG2 files used on authored DVD's. Since iDVD is meant for home users, and since home users normally shoot DV, I presume it can. If it can, you're good to go with the existing animation from AE.

I could tell you what's what for DVD Studio Pro, but that won't help you.

Choppy playback of Animation-codec files is perfectly normal for home computers: the poor hard drive can't keep up with the high bit rate of a high-quality file, and a high-quality file is what you want to use to make MPEG2 files.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

jason zalogaRe: formats
by on Jun 2, 2010 at 11:53:22 pm

can you explain a little more please on "high-quality file is what you want to use to make MPEG2 files."

so i can render out everything animation format. so in the output module i use MPEG2 H.264 (top of window) and for the video output it's animation?

or do I format to quicktime/codec animation then compress to H.264 with seperate software?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: formats
by on Jun 3, 2010 at 9:57:03 am

iDVD is using QT files- Animation or DV are fine (DV is smaller size and much faster though and it does not seem to make much of a difference in the final compression that iDVD makes). Since you seem to have HD footage, you need to scale down the size of the output to fit a SD frame. You can do that in the output module of your render queue. Read up more on the adobe site.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: formats
by on Jun 3, 2010 at 3:55:35 pm

[jason zaloga] "or do I format to quicktime/codec animation then compress to H.264 with seperate software? "

That is what you should do: render from AE's render queue using quicktime's animation codec. Don't forget to include the audio track -- click on the Output Module and toggle it on.

As Ted says, you should render SD. Nest your HD comp inside a DV Widescreen comp -- there's a comp preset to do that. Since your playback device will be a DVD player, you gain NOTHING by staying in HD any longer. Then use iDVD to author the DVD based on the resulting file.

And despite the propaganda from Apple, H.264 is NOT considered a high-quality codec. It's an acquisition and delivery codec -- it's not an editing or an intermediate codec.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]