ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

both freeform mesh and shadows in AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anders Ehlinboth freeform mesh and shadows in AE?
by on Jun 2, 2010 at 9:20:56 pm

Hey all,

I've run into a dead end with how a 3d object manipulated in Freeform treats shadows and light in AE. The setup is as follows:
I've created a 3d space with walls and a ceiling with roof windows in After Effects (CS4), but wanted slightly skewed walls and lines over all, basically making the whole space not totally square but sway a bit here and there. For these slight 3d bendings I've used Digieffects Freeform plugin. The idea is to shed it all in a nice film noir-ish light mainly coming through these windows casting nice dramatic shadows on the floor. But, AE won't let me have both the mesh I did on the y-axis of the ceiling layer (changing the height of the ceiling up and down), and also let this ceiling layer and its windows shadow the light coming from above (erm say the moon.. :) properly (or at all actually). To get this I need to use AE:s normal 3d positioning parameters, but then when the layer is placed right, horisontally, (and all is as it should with the shadows) the y-axis part of the mesh is not shown. It's still there if I go back to how it was, it just gets pushed in to a 2d-frame in AE that won't let all three dimensions be used at the same time.

What am I doing worng here? Thankful for help on this!

Thanks, anders

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiNope
by on Jun 2, 2010 at 10:02:55 pm

What am I doing worng here?

Spelling the word, "wrong" for one thing. :)
Also, not using an actual 3d application springs to mind.

You're going to have to fake your shadows if you're doing this in AE or lose the curvature. You don't get bendy walls (which is technically an effect on a 2d layer) and AE's shadows.

Perhaps a simple black solid with a feathered mask might work as a faked shadow. Or you may have to copy your layers, color them black, blur them and flip them...and other things to approximate the shadow.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Anders EhlinRe: Nope
by on Jun 3, 2010 at 7:47:59 am

Late night eagerness makes Jack a clumsy boy! ;)

Had a feeling this would be the case, just wasn't ready to completely swallow it..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved