ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Missing codecs

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James TadeMissing codecs
by on Jun 2, 2010 at 4:25:08 pm

I just installed CS5 on my computer and when I went to render out a movie in AE, a codec that I had previously used was no longer there. I am trying to render out a movie in the DVCPro50 codec for an existing FCP project. According to Apple's help site, you need to go to the Quicktime preference settings to enable legacy codecs. I have Quicktime player 10.0 and it does not have preference settings. Apple help also said that version 7.4 does have that option. So... do I uninstall QT 10 and reinstall 7.4 to make this happen or is there an easier way?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Missing codecs
by on Jun 2, 2010 at 4:35:05 pm

[James Tade] " I uninstall QT 10 and reinstall 7.4 to make this happen..."

Sorry, but yes. QT 10 may be great for iTunes, iCalendar, iPods and various other forms of consumer iCrap, but a disaster for people who make their living using good codecs.

And watch out if you have to make AVI's: you can't make 'em directly in AE 10 any more, because AE 10's 64 bit, but QT is still 32 bit and certain things just don't work the way they once did.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Missing codecs
by on Jun 2, 2010 at 5:08:56 pm

Here's a document on the Adobe Technical Support site that tells how to enable these codecs:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved