ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Creating Animated Squiggles?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam SchoalesCreating Animated Squiggles?
by on Jun 2, 2010 at 3:52:16 pm

So heres the deal: I'm trying to create a little squiggle that is drawn on for a video we're making. We need to make several different ones and so it seemed like the best idea would be to try expressions. I started with Andrew Kramer's light streaks tutorial on Video Copilot which was a good start, but the expression he used isn't quite what I'm looking for... I'm still very new to after effects so I'm not exactly sure what the best method to do this would be, but the wiggle expression I'm using does a *fairly* good job, but can be a little too all over the place. We're trying to get a more condensed, concentrated (and in some ways more "rounded") look to the squiggles... Perhaps expressions ISN'T the solution I should be using? I don't really know.

Here's an example of one of the squiggles from our mockups. This is just an illustrator path with a brush

Is there any way perhaps to import this pen tool's path, give that to a null object which will then move on said path, and then have the particle effects be based on that that null, in effect creating the streak based on our actual illustrator squiggles?

If anyone has any ideas what might be the best solution that'd be really helpful!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Creating Animated Squiggles?
by on Jun 2, 2010 at 5:33:07 pm

Check this link out. Scroll up for more fun ideas.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Russell LevensonRe: Creating Animated Squiggles?
by on Jun 2, 2010 at 8:54:21 pm

Are you talking about something like this?

Return to posts index

Adam SchoalesRe: Creating Animated Squiggles?
by on Jun 2, 2010 at 10:07:01 pm

Not quite (but man what a cool commercial).

It looks like I was able to figure it out. It took a bit of finessing but it looks pretty okay in the end.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved