ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rotating Motion Paths?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathaniel SchweinbergRotating Motion Paths?
by on Jun 1, 2010 at 9:09:30 pm

Hey Cows,

I've got an interesting predicament. I'm trying to create a spiral galaxy using Particular and have run into a few hangups.

The setup I'm using is a light for an Emitter, another light as the motion path. What I thought I could do was create one arm of the spiral galaxy then precompose the emitter, path, and particular layers then collapse transformations. Well, apparently Particular doesn't like it and stays 2D. (If anyone knows how to precomp particular, that would be awesome)

The solution I thought I would try is just duplicate the motion path, rename it Motion Path 2, and rotate it. Well, Lights don't rotate. Here's a screenshot of the motion path: http://cl.ly/1FjB

Can you guys think of a way to be able to rotate the motion path around onto another layer without having to replot the points? (It's a bit lazy, I know, but I'm trying to figure things out and think big =]. who knows, maybe I'll have to/be able to use that trick later on down the line =) )

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rotating Motion Paths?
by on Jun 1, 2010 at 9:37:31 pm

[Nathaniel Schweinberg] "Can you guys think of a way to be able to rotate the motion path around onto another layer without having to replot the points?"

How about duplicating the layer with its null, then rotating the null?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nathaniel SchweinbergRe: Rotating Motion Paths?
by on Jun 1, 2010 at 9:47:40 pm

Well, I think I tried that. I'll describe what I did first:

I created a null and a light, renaming the light Motion Path 2
I plotted out the points on the null, then pickwhipped the position of Motion Path 2 to the position of the Light. The particles didn't follow the path =\

I don't think that Particular recognizes that it's parented to other keyframes.

Is this what you were describing?

Return to posts index

Nathaniel SchweinbergRe: Rotating Motion Paths?
by on Jun 1, 2010 at 10:57:53 pm

Well this is bizarre. I tried doing something else, and I thought that I reproduced the same conditions, but apparently I didn't. The null trick worked. Now to see if I can rotate it...

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Rotating Motion Paths?
by on Jun 2, 2010 at 11:30:16 am

Try also building your paths first (make one, duplicate,rotate...)
Add Lights (Emitter1 link to path 1, Emitter2 link to path 2...), then apply Particular.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiMy attempt
by on Jun 2, 2010 at 3:37:48 pm

I thought I'd give a spiral galaxy a try:

Spiral Galaxy

Project file here: 796_spiralgalaxy.aep.zip

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Nathaniel SchweinbergRe: My attempt
by on Jun 2, 2010 at 6:32:00 pm

Dude, well done! You've actually inspired me...

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: My attempt
by on Jun 2, 2010 at 6:51:55 pm

You're welcome.
There's always more than one way to skin a cat :)

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Nathaniel SchweinbergRe: My attempt
by on Jun 2, 2010 at 7:21:02 pm

Haha, for real. Now, one thing I don't understand about yours is how the Auxilary system works. It says that it's not emitting any particles, but when I turn it off, the clouds turn off. What am I missing?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: My attempt
by on Jun 2, 2010 at 8:52:43 pm

I'm not sure what you're asking. The aux system is set up to emit at a probability of 50% and at 1 particle per second (from the main particles). So, it's emitting as long as particles are alive.
Whether or not particles are being emitted from the main emitter doesn't have anything to do with the aux system.

Most everything is created before the workspace starts and animate the camera around the scene. I use the Physics Time Factor to make it move for the final explosion.

If I were doing this for a real project, there's a lot more I would do with it. I keep seeing stuff I want to fix in it, or add to it, but I'm busy with other projects and don't have any more play time today. :(

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]