ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

MOV's created in After Effects CS5 cause some QT components to disappear?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean BergmannMOV's created in After Effects CS5 cause some QT components to disappear?
by on Jun 1, 2010 at 8:55:10 pm

So here's a weird one.

We use the XviD compressor component with Quicktime Pro 7. Any MOV that comes out of Adobe CS3 (using Apple Animation codec) will open in Quicktime and when we Command-E to export, we can do "Movie to XviD AVI", which is great, because it plays back on our engines and is of decent file size.

Anyway, we just got CS5 on one of our test machines, and we rendered out an MOV. Same format, same compressor, everything. It shows up in Quicktime 7 as an Mov with Animation compression (same as the CS3 files).

Yet, when we go to export the movie, the "Movie to XviD AVI" option is gone (along with a few others).

This also occurs if we try exporting that MOV on a machine without CS5 as well.

On the machine with CS5, if we open an MOV from CS3 in quicktime 7 pro, it shows the XVID codec export option.

I also tried H264 encoding (which has previously worked from CS3) and even that MOV makes the option disappear.

Has something changed with the way CS5 outputs MOV files? they still open in quicktime 7, I just can't export to AVI.

Anyone have a fix?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: MOV's created in After Effects CS5 cause some QT components to disappear?
by on Jun 1, 2010 at 9:29:55 pm

[Dean Bergmann] "Has something changed with the way CS5 outputs MOV files? they still open in quicktime 7, I just can't export to AVI. "

As you probably know, AE 10 is 64 bit exclusively, but Quicktime is still 32 bit. There are certain things that now must be done via exporting rather than via the Render Queue.

When QT goes 64 bit, life gets better again. Here's a link that 'splains it:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/979886

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dean BergmannRe: MOV's created in After Effects CS5 cause some QT components to disappear?
by on Jun 2, 2010 at 2:23:22 pm

Khaannn!

Hopefully that gets resolved soon; as it's a huge workflow problem for us if we can't do native XVID AVIs from the mac!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: MOV's created in After Effects CS5 cause some QT components to disappear?
by on Jun 2, 2010 at 4:15:25 pm

[Dean Bergmann] "it's a huge workflow problem for us if we can't do native XVID AVIs from the mac!"

Well, how much influence do you have with the folks at Apple?

In the meantime, remember that you CAN use Apple's Compressor (if you have it) or Adobe Media Encoder to do batch processing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dean BergmannRe: MOV's created in After Effects CS5 cause some QT components to disappear?
by on Jun 2, 2010 at 9:46:21 pm

Neither solution (compressor or media encoder) supports AVI exporting on the mac side.

I don't get why the outputted MOV would be causing this issue though, it's not like I'm trying to export them directly from AE CS5... the compression seems identical (even reports back in QT as the same compressor).. and even if i try encoding that MOV on a computer without Snow Leopard or CS5, the codec still disappears.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 2, 2010 at 10:09:55 pm

[Dean Bergmann] "Neither solution (compressor or media encoder) supports AVI exporting on the mac side. "

If you're running QT 10, you should be running QT 7.x... whatever's the latest version of QT 7 for Mac.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jun 2, 2010 at 10:51:07 pm

Yes, I know this. QT X doesn't support exporting to any legacy codecs, so we installed QT 7.x from the disc, updated, added our pro license, and like I said, ONLY with MOV's created from CS5 does the codec/component disappear.

Any old MOVs in QT7 (on that same machine!) can be converted to XVID, it's only the MOVs created with AE CS5 that the option disappears.

As I said before, this happens on OTHER machines as well (If we copy the MOV from CS5 to another machine that has say, only CS3 and Leopard on it, it still disappears).

It's something in the way AE exports the MOV, there's got to be some new information or something that gets appended to it.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 2, 2010 at 11:03:39 pm

Well, why are you exporting in the first place? Why aren't you rendering using the render aueue?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jun 2, 2010 at 11:23:26 pm

Because AE doesn't support exporting to AVIs on the mac side. If I could export directly to an XVID AVI I wouldn't be having this problem.

Our media player only supports XVID AVIs for the content we're creating (Well, that's no true, we can do HD MPEG2 BLURAY, but AVI is legacy for us and it'd require a lot of testing to convert over to mpeg2 reliably).

Anyway, yes. it MUST be an AVI, and it MUST be XviD, and for some reason the codec stopped working when we threw MOVs from AE CS5 at it.

I've got a temporary workaround using MPEG streamclip (as it accepts the MOVs and allows for XviD exporting using the very same component from QT), but it's more of a hassle from a training standpoint when everyone knows how to hit Command-E and save stuff in batches.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 2, 2010 at 11:32:56 pm

You may need to find yourself a legacy system still running AE9. You could render image sequences in AE 10, then follow the workflow you wish in AE 9. I know, it's not a very good solution.

I hate to say it, but yours appears to be one of those cases that fell through the cracks when AE went 64 bit.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jun 2, 2010 at 11:48:31 pm

I think we'd likely go the MPEG HD route before requiring an added step in workflow :D

It's weird, It's the actual MOV though, it's totally independant from AE when we're doing the conversion.. totally mind boggling. I might end up looking at two exact files (one from CS3 one from CS5) and see whats different in a HEX editor or something.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: MOV's created in After Effects CS5 cause some QT components to disappear?
by on Jun 3, 2010 at 2:40:57 am

are you mov files non-square pixel?

that's the only thing i can think of that would be different from cs3-cs5 in a rendered mov file. adobe changed (corrected) the pars for non-square formats in cs4, and it is possible that an older format may require the older par. (i remember avid's codecs being that picky, if you comp wasn't d1, no avid 1:1)

if that is the case, i'd have to play around with trying to create a custom par comp setting to get the legacy par back... of course someone may have already figured that one out, you might search the web....

as far as the streamclip workflow, streamclip will do a batch conversion, which actually may improve the qt pro workflow, but i know what you mean about re-training people...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: MOV's created in After Effects CS5 cause some QT components to disappear?
by on Jun 3, 2010 at 3:56:49 am

i was looking at the xvid site, and i'm less confident that there is a par/frame dimension issue (i'd still look into any discrepancies, though), but i did notice that they released an update friday that addressed some mac issues.

http://www.xvid.org/Home-of-the-Xvid-Codec.1.0.html

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Jun 3, 2010 at 6:55:41 pm

There doesn't seem to be a link to the OSX component version, anything on their site is still sitting at 1.0 from 2007.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 4, 2010 at 12:43:56 pm

upon closer inspection of the date on the 1.2.2 update, it was may 29, 2009 (not 2010) sorry about that.

what are your comp settings--frame size, frame rate, pixel aspect ratio? and are there any differences in those settings from the cs3 comps/renders that you can transcode...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Jun 4, 2010 at 1:34:10 pm

Comp settings are identical (in some cases we're even bringing in the comps from CS3 AE project files),

Anyway, comps are as follows:

1280x720, square pixels, 30fps.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 5, 2010 at 1:18:47 am

hmmm... i'm out of guesses here.

have you tried adobe's ae forum. there must be some flag, or alteration in the render from cs5 that is different from cs3 that is creating an issue for xvid conversion... maybe some one at adobe can shed some light.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Jun 7, 2010 at 8:01:59 pm

Ok, so I compared a CS3 and CS5 rendered file, and the only difference is this bit at the end, which is present in the CS5 render, and not the CS3 one:

Is it possible this is what's causing the issue?

Return to posts index

Yehming TsoRe: MOV's created in After Effects CS5 cause some QT components to disappear?
by on Oct 4, 2010 at 5:44:53 am

I think currently there is no longer we can find the option..export movie in menu.
Try install "K-Lite Codec Pack 64bit" or latest "DivX codec pack"
or lastest quicktime..(I forget which one I installed..then solve this prbm)

If you are using MAC:
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=66277
Mr.Bill...:
http://www.codecguide.com/klcp_64bit.htm

Now go to composition > make movie , change the output module value from render queue, select the ffdshow video codec inside Format Options then click on codec settings, and you can set whatever you want it.. Avi by Xvid codec.
then render it....done...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]