ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Live Photoshop 3D integration in existing comp with 3D camera

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil RedmanLive Photoshop 3D integration in existing comp with 3D camera
by on Jun 1, 2010 at 7:06:07 pm

Hi, I am trying to integrate a Live Photoshop 3D element in an existing composition. The camera in the existing composition is animated and is travelling through 3d space. I now want the 3D object to be positioned in the path of the camera so that the camera will fly by it.

However I am having extreme problems of positioning the object. If I set the position values of the null object (control layer) so that I should be able to see the object it doesn't appear. The only way for me to see the object is when I set my camera to exactly the same settings and positions as the camera that After FX created in the Comp for the 3D object. However I don't want my camera to match my object, but my object to match my existing camera settings but I can't get it right. I also tried "layer->transform->center in view" but it doesn't work either.

Does anyone has any tips about positioning 3D objects?

Thanks Neil

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Live Photoshop 3D integration in existing comp with 3D camera
by on Jun 1, 2010 at 9:04:00 pm

Can't you position the object in front of the camera, then parent it to the camera?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Live Photoshop 3D integration in existing comp with 3D camera
by on Jun 1, 2010 at 11:05:49 pm

Did you set the 3d object to use the AE camera in the effects window? If that doesn't work then maybe delete the camera in the 3d object's comp.

Return to posts index

Neil RedmanRe: Live Photoshop 3D integration in existing comp with 3D camera
by on Jun 2, 2010 at 5:16:40 pm

Hi, thanks for the help. Unfortunately it still doesn't really work the way I want it.

"Did you set the 3d object to use the AE camera in the effects window? If that doesn't work then maybe delete the camera in the 3d object's comp."
Yes, I did that and I tried it with deleting the 3d object's camera but that didn't work.

The parenting to the null helps at least somehow with the positioning. I found now that I can only see the object when I set the position of the control layer exactly to the Point of Interest of the camera. However the problem is that when I move the null object by only 1 pixel in any direction the object jumps almost from site of the canvas to the other side. So it appears impossible to positioning it with my existing 3D layers, so that when the camera flies by it, it is only visible for 1 or 2 frames before it exists the view. So it basically behaves completely to the camera than my other 3d layers do. And when I set the position of the control layer to the position of a 3d layer that is seen by the camera, then my 3D object want be in view.

I hope that is understandable. Is there any solution to this problem? I was hoping that I wouldn't have to prerender it to a 2d layer so that I get realistic transformations as the camera passes it, but I fear that that is what I have to do.

Thanks Neil

Return to posts index

by on Jun 2, 2010 at 5:44:13 pm

You may have the zoom or something set to an extreme value that's causing the problem. Have you tried turning off your main camera and just adding a new camera with default settings (use one of the presets like 35mm) and see if that helps?

Is the 3D button turned on for the nested 3D object comp? If so, try turning it off and/or resetting the position and anchor points to default.

-E

Return to posts index

Neil RedmanRe: Live Photoshop 3D integration in existing comp with 3D camera
by on Jun 2, 2010 at 6:21:54 pm

Hey, thanks you, but I already tried all that in all variations. I'm using a 50mm preset camera and all the other objects/layers respond just fine to it. I guess it has something to do how that whole Live Photoshop 3D effect is set up, since you are basically controlling a 2D layer over a 3D null object over all kinds of expressions and the values don't seem to fit seamlessly together with the position values of other objects.

However the 3D object I wanted to use wasn't anything too complex, more like an sphere like object. So I ended up creating a object with a particle system in AFX that resembles that look very closely and now I can position it perfectly in 3D space.

- Neil

Return to posts index

by on Jun 2, 2010 at 6:51:05 pm

Yeah, it is a bit of a tangled mess with all of the expressions and precomping and so forth. Anyway, I'm glad you found another solution, even if it wasn't the one you wanted. That's the way it goes sometimes.

-E

Return to posts index

Rick JanssenRe: Live Photoshop 3D integration in existing comp with 3D camera
by on Aug 2, 2011 at 9:25:57 am

I have the exact same problem, but Instead of a sphere my Photoshop 3d layer is a cylinder, so solving this problem with a particle emitter or any other AE effect is out of the question for me.

I can't find any way to get the cylinder model out of the After Effects created Photoshop 3d comp to an existing comp without it dissapearing from the scene somehow... I also tried matching the AE created camera to my animated scene camera. But as soon as the cylinder left the frame it wouldn't come back...

So in a nutshell:
Isn't there any other way to import/place a PS 3d model (or any other 3d model) into an already existing comp and still be able to position it anywhere in 3d space AND be able to fly around it without it dissapearing all the time? I only want a cylinder in my existing scene to fly around, that can't be that hard right?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]