ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

replacing number plate on vehicle

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alan pover
replacing number plate on vehicle
on Jun 1, 2010 at 1:13:38 pm

Hello everyone, I am trying to replace the number plate on the front of a car. But the number plate is not straight, it is slightly bend for some reason. I tried to use corner pin effects, but that didn't really work since the number plate is bend. and then i tried to use digieffects freeform with corner pin. that didn't work either because the text on the number plate look kind of weird. maybe i don't know how to use it properly. can anyone help?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: replacing number plate on vehicle
on Jun 1, 2010 at 3:12:14 pm

Got AE 9 or higher? Check out Mocha. There are bunches of tutorials available to learn how to use it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jun 1, 2010 at 4:00:45 pm

Like Dave said, Mocha can help, but here's the "old" way of doing it:
render out a still with the car where you can see as much of the plate as possible. Bring in Photoshop. Paint the new number in- use liquify and distort to match the existing plate with the bend. Bring in AE the new plate and track/corner pin.
Or you can just make a slightly bigger plate, without distortion and place it over to completely cover the old one.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jun 1, 2010 at 4:03:31 pm

Make your replacement number plate larger than the existing one just enough to cover the whole thing and you should be fine. :)

Or, bend your replacement using some of the distort tools (like Bezier Warp) in a precomp and then motion track that precomp into your shot.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

alan pover
on Jun 1, 2010 at 5:10:51 pm

Thank you everyone for your reply. I did use mocha for ae to track the number plate and export the data for ae corner pin. it sort of worked, it's just that the original number plate is bend. so the end result looks a bit odd. and i did make the new number plate a bit bigger to cover the old one, i was stuck at this stage and decided to come here and look for help. I guess i will have to paint it in photoshop. let's see how it goes. thanks again everybody!

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Jun 1, 2010 at 10:58:50 pm

Do you have a still of the footage (and plate) to show us?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]