ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AVCHD....why must it push me over the edge?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe DanielsAVCHD....why must it push me over the edge?
by on May 31, 2010 at 4:25:30 am

I have a JVC Everio 300 camera that creates AVCHD files. The raw files look GREAT!

I have a pretty beefy pc and memory, so I dont think my hardware is an issue. I am on a pc. (that may be an issue to some!)

I am now using Adobe CS5, which I think on the surface seems pretty good so far.

Its the working with AVCHD that has been a thorn in my side since last summer!

For one, are AVCHD files meant to be pulled into CS5 After Effects, or only in Premiere Pro? I know in Premiere there is an actual setting for this type of file.

But here is the deal. On the timeline, both After Effects and Premiere Pro seem to play the file fine on the timeline.

It seems when exporting it out as various file types it look like crap. (pardon my harsh language!) Choppy playback, jaggies, etc.

What to do? Do I need to run this through a converter prior to bringing in?

How do I do that with the least amount of quality loss?

Someone HELLLP!

Return to posts index

Uli PlankRe: AVCHD....why must it push me over the edge?
by on May 31, 2010 at 6:30:48 am

AVCHD is a heavily compressed format. Any encoding to another heavily compressed format after treating it to AE can generate bad quality due to the compression losses stacking up. So, your wording seems OK to me, I'd call it crap too.

AVCHD at typical camcorder data-rates is not really a pro codec. If you encode to a format with milder or no compression, you can preserve the initial quality, but you'll need pretty beefy drives or a RAID.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved