ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Text effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lewis PotterText effect?
by on May 29, 2010 at 3:36:32 pm

In this video the user makes text appear in special ways, I don't know how to describe it, for example, at one point it just shows him running around, he then jumps, looking over the wall and the text is behind the wall, when he drops back down the text is blocked off by the wall (the text in question is JUMPSHOT incase you are wondering where this is in the video) It's at around 0:22 to 0:26.

He says he uses After Effects and Sony Vegas Pro 9 but I'm hedging my bets on it being that the effect was done in after effects.

If someone could respond with some information on this (perhaps a link to a tutorial) that would be brilliant, taking Media next year at school and I'm trying to teach myself from home some handy effects such as this to get a headstart! :)

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Text effect?
by on May 29, 2010 at 4:08:34 pm

All right, first off, I absolutely hate it when someone jumpshots me, not as bad as getting commando'd, but up there.

In AE, after you capture the video, you and throw it into a composition, what you would create your text, say "jumpshot". This is above the video. At this point your text is there, you can move it around, but it's always above the video.

There are a few ways of acomplishing what he did, but what it ammounts to is he masked the text. In jumpshot, he traces the wall, sets a key frame on mask path, if the wall moves up in the shot, he moves the mask. You continue doing this until you have a mask that follows the wall movement completely. Now you just change your mask to invert and when the mask is over the text(ie...the wall) it's invisible, when it doesn't cover the text, it's visible.

For more control-you could also create a solid(layer above text) and apply a mask to to that as you did before. Change your text layer track matte to alpha,(you may have to right-click near "source name" and choose "modes" now you can move text around, independent of the mask you created. If you had moved it around before, you would have to move all the keyframes for wall mask, this way you don't.

If you really want a leg up on your class, go to Amazon and get "Creating Motion Graphics" from Chris and Trish Meyer (all of their books are excellent)---will give you a great leg up. Good luck in media.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

Lewis PotterRe: Text effect?
by on May 29, 2010 at 5:14:40 pm

Thanks a lot for the swift reply, my first time posting on these forums and it's brilliant at how fast you managed to get back to me :)

Also, thanks for the heads up on the "Creating Motion Graphics", I've just ordered myself :)

If I get the effect done soon, I will reply to this post so you can take a look! :)

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Lewis PotterRe: Text effect?
by on May 30, 2010 at 1:12:56 pm

I managed to pull the effect off and threw some other stuff in there too (vertical blur and a lens flare) it goes by quite quickly, so getting some smooth slow motion into it is going to be my next step :)

Thanks a bunch for your help!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Text effect?
by on May 31, 2010 at 1:09:35 pm

Wow, nice job(especially if this is your first effort). You should be more than ready for you media class. Glad I could help.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved