ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Text signs

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emma KempeText signs
by on May 28, 2010 at 12:54:32 pm

I have After Effects CS4, and don't know much about it. I wanna do a clip where I hold a paper up for the camera and flip it, so the other side faces the camera (the top of the paper goes back and down so that it ends up in the bottom, if I'm making myself clear), and do that a few times. Then what I don't know how to do is to make a text in after effects on the paper, that changes every time I flip it. Ex - First time it says "Hello", then I flip it and it says "Cookie", and then back to the page where it stood "Hello" where it now says "Monster", or something like that.
I want the text to nicely come up with the paper, like if it's actually written there.

I don't know what tools to use or anything, I'm new at all of this. Please help me!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Text signs
by on May 28, 2010 at 6:52:34 pm

I hate to be a curmudgeon, but to do a project like that, is going to be beyond a beginner's abilities.

Basically you want to shoot the paper with marker points.

Create your text in a seperate composition, & import into final comp. Use the Tracker in AE(better yet, use Mocha) and track those points on your paper. You would then apply the tracking data to the precomped text and adjust.

This video really goes into depth on how one guy did it:

Good luck.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Text signs
by on Jun 1, 2010 at 1:21:39 pm

John gives good advice. And he's right. This is not a good project for a beginner. If you don't have a good understanding of the foundational elements of AE, you will just become frustrated.

Go here for a great list of free resources to build your AE knowledge. It is specially formulated for beginners such as yourself.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved