ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

flv rendering, bit rates and image quality

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Collisterflv rendering, bit rates and image quality
by on May 28, 2010 at 9:38:02 am

Hi all!
Im rendering out an after effects project to flv. The majority of the footage looks great at a constant bit rate of 800kbps, but certain parts of the footage have very detailed out of focus elements in the foreground. These parts of the footage become heavily pixelated once rendered.

Anybody have any advice on how to get around this?

I cant really bump up the kbps up any more, as it has to be streamed on the web.

I have had a look at using f4v(h.264), which gives me the quality im looking for, but the bit rate is spiking all over the place (up to 3000 kbps) and im worried about it stalling when being played back.

Any advice or suggestions are much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Paul ConigliaroRe: flv rendering, bit rates and image quality
by on May 28, 2010 at 4:54:36 pm

The best piece of advice I can give you is to render out of AE uncompressed and use a separate compression program to encode your FLV, such as Adobe Media Encoder. This will give you the benefit of being able to do 2-pass encoding.

If you're compressing with VBR, you're setting a target average bit-rate. Some frames might spike, but that's because they need the data to retain as much detail in the image as possible. This is compensated for by lower bit rates on frames with less detail and movement. Overall, the average bit rate over the entire clip will be roughly what you set it to. Stalling shouldn't be too much of a problem.

But, like I said, use a separate compression program and you'll have much more control over your encoding and a much better looking image.

[Disclaimer: Sometimes I am an idiot and misinterpret people's posts. I'm sorry.]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved