ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Quicktime animation > mpeg dvd problems

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aymeric De MeautisQuicktime animation > mpeg dvd problems
by on May 28, 2010 at 8:26:26 am

Hey guys, ran into a big problem.
So here's whats up.
Over the last 3 days I designed a 3 minute animation made completely in After Effects. It's made in HD (1920x1080) and I rendered it as a quicktime animation as its uncompressed. Came out around 14gigs size - ouch!.

Now I want to put this on DVD so I can play on TV's and loop it, when I put it in Encore, the build button is greyed out and when i try transcode it, it crashes.

So I thought maybe I'll just convert the animation file to mpeg dvd in AE (tried premiere and it crashes).
So I did that and the file is now 160mb (looks pretty crummy quality? is mpeg-dvd the best preset?).
But when I put it in Encore to burn as a DVD it says: the software that is used to decode this media is not available on this system.
So I looked that up and ppl say I need to dl codecs, which I did (K-lite full codec pack) and same problem. didnt fix anything. help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Quicktime animation > mpeg dvd problems
by on May 28, 2010 at 2:29:28 pm

Nest your HD comp in a DVD-resolution widescreen comp and render a high-quality file. Here's why:

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved