ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Loosing memory when Exporting

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack DunnLoosing memory when Exporting
by on May 28, 2010 at 8:00:44 am

Hi there,

I am currently exporting a sequence from after effects to a .mov. There is quite a lot going on in the scene and it has taken 2 days and nights to get to 300 frames (out of 600). The thing is all of a sudden i got a message saying i was low on disk space. I looked at my Hard Drive and in the time i had been rendering i had lost 65GB! Can anyone tell me, why this has happened and is there away after the render i can retrieve my space.

Thanks alot

Jack

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Loosing memory when Exporting
by on May 28, 2010 at 2:56:19 pm

No we can't, because we know nothing other than you're using AE. We don't even know if the "sequence" you refer to is an image sequence or your term for a series of shots & animations in the comp.

How about tossing us a bone and telling us some details?

Details about your computer, processors, RAM, OS, hard drive in question, AE version, what you're trying to do in AE, the kind of footage you're using...

That's pretty good for starters.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jack DunnRe: Loosing memory when Exporting
by on May 28, 2010 at 6:12:56 pm

Hi Dave

Thanks for responding

I am exporting an animation that i made using trapcode particular. The animation is of abstract image based around a sort of sea creature with tentacles that pulse to a beat. To create the animation i used a lot of particles in particular, there is also a lot of depth of field so that probably is what is creating the slow render times. The comp is 600 frames long and i used the 1920/1080 preset. I am exporting it to the HDV 1080 preset with no sound. I am running AE CS3 on a Macbook OSX 10.5 with 4GB of ram and a 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor. The actual hard drive is a 500GB serial ata.

It is still currently exporting and is on 422 frames. I am loosing about 10GB a day from my Macbook Hard Drive and i am frantically moving other projects across to an external so that i can finish this render.

Help would be gratefully appreciated

Thanks a lot

Jack

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Loosing memory when Exporting
by on May 28, 2010 at 9:05:14 pm

[Jack Dunn] " am running AE CS3 on a Macbook OSX 10.5 with 4GB of ram and a 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor. The actual hard drive is a 500GB serial ata. ...I am loosing about 10GB a day from my Macbook Hard Drive and i am frantically moving other projects across to an external so that i can finish this render. "

I hope you can stop this render. That's plain weird.

There are certain things that cause AE weirdness in AE 8:
• Trying to use Open GL to accelerate rendering -- turn it off now
• Trying to use multiprocessing with 6GB RAM or les -- turn it off now
• And the #1 cause or weirdness: using the wrong kind of footage in AE! Read on...

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are resolved to completing this on a laptop -- not the best thing for AE work -- try rendering an image sequence. If the render stops, you can pick it up at the next frame.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]