ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

.mpg as .m2v glitch?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Simeonidis.mpg as .m2v glitch?
by on May 27, 2010 at 9:00:09 pm

hello gurus,

when setting up a clip for export via the render queue as an MPEG2, for some reason AFX defaults the clip as an .m2v instead of an .mpg (even though there is audio in my timeline and I have confirmed that in the output module the audio option is turned on in both the "format options" dialogue box and in the "output module settings" box.

Any thoughts as to what may be causing this glitch? Also tried cleaning the cache...

Thanks for your time and suggestions.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: .mpg as .m2v glitch?
by on May 28, 2010 at 6:26:09 am

If you're exporting using the mpeg2 DVD option you will get m2v file for video and a separate audio file. For mpg use the MPEG2 option.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

George SimeonidisRe: .mpg as .m2v glitch?
by on May 28, 2010 at 2:26:33 pm

hi, thanks for the feedback Ted!

You see, that's the weird thing. I am selecting the straight up MPEG2 option. And once I exit the output module settings dialogue box, AFX defaults the clip to export as an .m2v

I've also tried exporting an .mov out of a third party software (FFMPEG) and my system still pumps out an .m2v with a separate file for audio. I'm starting to suspect that it has something to do with a recent OSX/Quicktime update I perfomred....

I'm running QT version 7.6.6 and OSX version 10.5.8.

Is anyone in the community experiencing the same issue?

Thanks all!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: .mpg as .m2v glitch?
by on May 28, 2010 at 2:27:17 pm

...and in any case, you should be thankful that you didn't get it right. Here's why:

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on May 28, 2010 at 4:08:24 pm

That's very sage advice Dave. Thanks!

I imported the high-res .mov into Adobe's Media Encoder and setup an MPEG preset and it worked like a charm. Fast too.
I was a little reserved about using Media Encoder because my prior tests straight out of Premiere looked terrible (even at high quality MPEG settings). But for some reason circumventing Premiere and going directly into Encoder gave better results. I wonder if that's just my experience?

Anyways, thanks again to everyone for their great help!

...unfortunately I do still wonder why AFX is behaving like it is with this .m2v business. Maybe it'll resolve itself with the next QT update :)

Cheers,
george simeonidis
http://www.gSimeo.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: .mpg as .m2v glitch?
by on May 28, 2010 at 4:14:01 pm

[George Simeonidis] "I do still wonder why AFX is behaving like it is with this .m2v business. Maybe it'll resolve itself with the next QT update"

If you ask me, it's irrelevant. I wouldn't make mpeg2's in AE unless someone held a gun to my head.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on May 28, 2010 at 4:23:03 pm

haha!
well, during that whole ordeal pre-your suggestion, I blew out my own brains. several times.

have a good one!

george simeonidis
http://www.gSimeo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]