ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE Mesh Warp tool-like plugin?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vianne Chan
AE Mesh Warp tool-like plugin?
on May 27, 2010 at 6:29:19 am

Hi there,

I found it's difficult to work with AE's Mesh Warp tool and wonder if there is any plugin that would serve the purpose with better control.

Currently I'm working on a video that will finally screen through a projector, on some sculpture(like hemisphere). And I would probably put the projector prependicular to the sculpture, that means the front view.

So I'm using Mesh Warp to deform the final output to correct the distortion as much as I can (I know the egde area should distort very much). I tried CC sphere, it works for hemisphere but not the others.

I can't control multiple points at the same time. I can't give a perfect symmetry deformation, and the process is so slow (fine tuning the tangents) that you need to work in full resolution with fine tuning. I wonder if any plugin would do a better deformation.

Thanks for all your comment!

Return to posts index

Nate Vander Plas
Re: AE Mesh Warp tool-like plugin?
on May 27, 2010 at 2:20:27 pm

You could try a Displacement Map. Basically you make a grayscale map for warping your image. This would probably be easier to make symmetrical than the Mesh Warp effect.

I do have one question about your project- will most people be viewing the "screens" from the front, or from all sides? In other words, are you sort of trying to create a texture on the objects, or just projecting a video on a weird shape? If it's not supposed to be a texture, then you may not want to warp your video so that way it will look right from the front.

Nate

Return to posts index

Vianne Chan
on May 28, 2010 at 7:06:01 am

just tried displacement map and quite hard to control...i'll keep trying

I would like the view angle to be flexible for audience from different angles. Though some places that make large angle to the projector will be blur, it's ok to put graphic with not so much details in my case.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 27, 2010 at 2:40:23 pm

After Effects is NOT the tool for this job. You'll need to model the statue in a true 3D application, and probably project the desired images on the INSIDE of the modeled statue to get the distortion correct.

Don't forget about the focal length of both the 3D camera and your projector.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 27, 2010 at 4:56:46 pm

I should also add that when you project this already-distorted image onto the actual statue, it will only look proper from one point of view: namely, the point where the projector is placed. Depending on the viewer's angle, it will often look like visual jibberish.

Of course, that may be the look you want.......

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Vianne Chan
on May 28, 2010 at 7:08:30 am

3D camera...I know nothing about that and I think I can't afford that...
What I can do is morphing the projection to fit the actual sculpture.

Return to posts index

Peter Litwinowicz
on May 27, 2010 at 11:05:55 pm

You might try our RE:FLex for AE, which allows you to deform images using free-form splines.

Demo version here (make sure to read the short manual): http://www.revisionfx.com/products/reflex/
Click on "Downloads" to get to the demo installer.

Pete Litwinowicz
RE:Vision Effects, Inc.

Return to posts index

Vianne Chan
on May 28, 2010 at 7:09:15 am

oh seems it's what I need!
a bit expensive but i'll tried it first, thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]