ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Travel "around the corner"

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ashley M. KirchnerTravel "around the corner"
by on May 27, 2010 at 4:33:55 am

So I can't figure out a proper subject for this ... I've been trying to figure out how best to do this and not having any luck. Picture yourself standing in a room and you can see the back, left, and right walls. How do I make a line travel from one wall to the other?

For example, think of a ticker banner that rolls around the corner and keeps going. I can't figure out how to make something that's on one wall travel to the next and seamlessly travel from one wall to the next by "folding" around (or in) the corner.

Going the extreme, RevoStock has a great clip (for purchase) online that shows this technique except theirs go around a bunch of corners, but it's the same idea:

Basically I'm looking to do what you see in the first 3 seconds of that clip. The rest is just icing on the cake ... if I can figure out how it's done.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Travel "around the corner"
by on May 27, 2010 at 6:44:24 am

I am not able to see the link you posted but I think you can use any of the following: Trapcode Particular or 3d Stroke, or use this:
make 3 layers and precompose them. Match the walls in AE in 3d space. Animate the line/banner passing through each of the 3 layers inside the precomps, making sure that you offset the animation in such way that the line seems to go from one layer to the next. If you have a camera move, do a track (Mocha for 2d move, syntheyes or Boujou for 3d move) and match the camera move in AE, or do a corner pin for each wall separately.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

Ashley M. KirchnerRe: Travel "around the corner"
by on May 27, 2010 at 7:34:37 pm

Interesting idea. I thought about it, having 3 comps combined into one. It just seemed a lot of work to have things off set and tracking properly.

But I do like Matthew Keane's idea of having one big comp with everything on it, then import that 3 times into another and mask out specific area so things off set properly. That, to me, seems easier to do. I'll have to play with it and see which one I end up using.

Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Matthew KeaneRe: Travel "around the corner"
by on May 27, 2010 at 1:37:25 pm

I think the best solution depends on how complicated the geometry of your scene is.

If you just have 3 flat walls like you say in your post, then you could just create a comp which is the combined width of the 3 walls to contain your animated stripe. Then just drop 3 copies of the comp into your 3D room, mask each to reveal a different section and place it in front of your walls in 3D.

If the walls aren't straight and flat - like in the example video you posted - then you could use something like the Digieffects Freeform to recreate the shape of the wall and use your animation comp as the texture. That would also allow you to have smooth corners, if you needed, unlike the hard/sharp corners of the first method.

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: Travel "around the corner"
by on May 29, 2010 at 5:09:21 am

Maye don't even bother masking. Always seem to end up with a little 1 pixel gap somewhere in the corner. Better to just let them intersect. But you still have to be precise. Drop in the 3 duplicate comps. Leave one alone as the center wall, and for the two sides, adjust the anchor point appropriately and rotate them 90 degrees.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved