ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Newbie question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Gripenstraw
Newbie question
on May 27, 2010 at 2:30:32 am

I have looked around for the answer so I apologize if this is on here somewhere - I am a newbie at After Effects and am attempting to learn it - but I'm having a really stupid problem that I'm sure is easy to fix but I just can't figure it out.

I've opened a new composition. The one avi file is a 16:9 widescreen HD file in it, nothign else- I can get the first layer to open in 16:9 but when I hit duplicate, it makes the duplicate layer 4:3. I can't go to layer/layer settings because it's grayed out. How do I get the duplicate layers to be 16:9 as well and why is it showing as 4:3 when the footage itself is widescreen? Thanks for any info.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Newbie question
on May 27, 2010 at 1:52:50 pm

Welcome to AE!
Are both of these layers in the comp? How are you duplicating them?

If you feel you have a newbie question we actually have a forum just for them.

Also, as someone new to AE, you will benefit greatly from the resources on this page.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Nick Gripenstraw
on May 28, 2010 at 2:02:58 am

I create a new comp - I set it so it's HD, 1280x780, lock aspect ratio at 16:9. There's one avi file. the main layer is fine, I go to edit/duplicate and the second layer is squished in the view.

I can alter the layer settings becuase it's grayed out.

I've been watching these Andrew Kramer videos and he duplicates a layer, it's identical the original but I am not getting that. I cannot figure out what it is I'm doing wrong.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 27, 2010 at 1:57:37 pm

I'm confused.

> I've opened a new composition...

Do you mean that you _created_ a new composition? If so, what are the composition settings for width and height?

> The one avi file is a 16:9 widescreen HD file in it, nothign else- I can get the first layer to open in 16:9 but when I hit duplicate, it makes the duplicate layer 4:3.

So, you're duplicating a layer (in the Timeline panel)? Or a footage item (in the Project panel)?

And what do you mean that it "makes the duplicate layer 4:3"? What exactly are you seeing? If you were to post a screenshot, that would help.

I think that it would really help if you were to begin here: "Getting started with After Effects"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 28, 2010 at 4:26:27 pm

Your description of what you're doing isn't precise enough for me to know exactly what you're doing. If you upload a project that demonstrates the problem, I'll take a look.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]