ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Whip Pan Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David BarkWhip Pan Effect
by on May 27, 2010 at 12:19:55 am

Hi Guys,

So I'm going to try something that, for me, anyway, is a little advanced.

I'm going to create a little demo, with clips (smaller than the comp) playing inside of a frame. The clips will start right and slide left, doing a slow rotate on the y as the play. I'll have a background solid with a light ray effect or some such, and another overlay solid with some gently falling start or something (haven't figured out how to make that happen yet, but I will. Kind of like snow, but with little glowing stars. I wonder if I'll have to create each one individually? Whatever it takes.)

Anyway, at the conclusion of each clip, I want to whip pan to another clip in another frame. The background will blur, obviously, during the move. I guess my question is, how do I do that? lmao. I mean, do I make a ginormous background layer and pan the camera, or should I just have the next set of layers (background, clip in frame) waiting off to the side and slide it in real fast with some kind of transition?

Definitely willing to do some research - just finished watching a tute on creating a cube world, which was very cool but not what I needed, so even a nudge in the right direction will be appreciated. Could very well be I'm too big for my britches, being a relative newbie, but how else are you going to learn but jump right in.

I might even create a little reflection at the bottom of each clip, since all the cool kids are doing it!

David Bark
Lightshine Productions

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Whip Pan Effect
by on May 27, 2010 at 1:27:06 am

I found this with this search for the words in your subject line.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

David BarkRe: Whip Pan Effect
by on May 27, 2010 at 3:00:59 am

Awesome. Thanks.

David Bark
Lightshine Productions

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Whip Pan Effect
by on May 27, 2010 at 1:46:29 pm

And as for your slow falling stars, try a particle system. (CC Particle World, perhaps)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Whip Pan Effect
by on May 27, 2010 at 2:16:52 pm

There's a tutorial in the COW's tutorials section on how to fake swish pans...whip pans... whatever you want to call 'em. Carl Larson did it. You should look it up.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

adam taylorRe: Whip Pan Effect
by on May 28, 2010 at 7:48:10 am

Andrew Kramer at Videocopilot has a tutorial and some download plug-ins that would be of immense use for you on this project.

check out

and search for Sure Target (he's done two tutorials as he's improved the plugin)

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved