ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

continuous rasterization - Strokes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Kimbercontinuous rasterization - Strokes
by on May 26, 2010 at 8:19:39 pm

I'm working on creating an animation that I should be doing in a 3D program. However, I have no knowledge of 3D programs, so I have to work in After Effects. Basically, I'm creating solids and modeling what I need in 3D space. Here's my problem.

I created a bus shelter using gray solids in 3D. It worked with no problem. I did turn on the continuous rasterization button as I eventually intend to put each element into a large comp and "drive down the street" past each element. Obviously, I'm going to want everything to look vectorized when I'm driving past it.

After creating the bus shelter (and everything else I will eventually create), I add a Stroke effect to all the layers. No problems so far. Using the custom view, I'm able to move the camera around and everything looks perfect.

The problem arrives when I nest everything into a comp and put it in the main comp (which will eventually be the road that this bus shelter appears on). I turn on the continuous rasterization button and the 3D switch and suddenly the solids move with the camera but the stroke stays stationary! Anyone have any ideas what is going on and how I can fix it (without having to go into illustrator, make these shapes, re-import them into After Effects, and re-model the whole thing)? Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: continuous rasterization - Strokes
by on May 26, 2010 at 8:53:34 pm

Here's a suggestion: Duplicate the solids with strokes, make them 2d, precomp each solid individually, then reassemble the building, using the 2d precomps as 3D layers. That way, you don't have the nasty combination of an effect applied to a Continuously rasterize layer. AE may not even know there's an effect applied.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved