ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Doing a slideshow with the Ken Burns effect inside of one comp with one camera? Theres a problem...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Thompson
Doing a slideshow with the Ken Burns effect inside of one comp with one camera? Theres a problem...
on May 26, 2010 at 6:04:52 pm

Hi guys,

I am having trouble making a slideshow with the ken burns effect in after effects like I would in iMovie. Here's the basically the problem:

I drag all photos into one composition and use one camera. The problem with this is that when I zoom in on a picture, I do not know how to have the camera reset to being zoomed out on the next picture in the slideshow without the zoom out being automatically key framed in by after effects. Since it automatically key frames it in, the camera zooms out super fast between pictures and this obviously does not look great. Is there anyway around this that does not involve making each photo into its own composition with its own camera?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: A slideshow with the Ken Burns effect inside of one comp? No problem!
on May 26, 2010 at 6:20:36 pm

Here's an easy solution: don't use a camera! Do it all in 2D; it's a lot easier to keep track of the scale of your images, and you just animate opacity for a fade.

People used to do it all the time before AE could handle semi-3D.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Thompson
on May 26, 2010 at 11:33:07 pm

Thanks, I totally forgot that was an obvious option. I am not sure if you know the answer to this question, but when I try to do multiple position movements with a 2D layer, After Effects will automatically smooth the position movement out by creating a curving effect. Is there anyway I can eliminate this Easing/curving/bouncing like effect that is automatically being added when I use 3 or more different positions for one picture?

Thanks again for any help anyone can provide.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on May 27, 2010 at 1:09:47 pm

Select all the keyframes-right click on one of the keyframes and choose "Keyframe Interpolation". You want to change your keyframes to be LInear.

Under Edit>Preferences you can change it so that keyframes default to a linear interpolation.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
http://www.ckandco.net

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 27, 2010 at 2:13:02 pm

[John Thompson] "Is there any way I can eliminate this Easing/curving/bouncing like effect that is automatically being added when I use 3 or more different positions for one picture? "

Yes. For the moment, let's assume you have all your position keyframes in place -- just ignore the erratic movement. If you know the position values are identical for the "stop" keyframe and the "resume motion" keyframe, you're good.

The fix: highlight the "stop" keyframe, right-click on it and select "Toggle Hold Keyframe" from the contextual menu. When you preview the motion, you will see that the layer slows to a stop, holds rock-steady, then smoothly resumes motion.

Hold keyframes -- once you learn to use 'em, you'll wonder how you ever got by without 'em.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
Re: Doing a slideshow with the Ken Burns effect inside of one comp with one camera? Theres a problem...
on May 28, 2010 at 6:49:19 pm

By the way, if you're doing a ton of keyframing on opacity, you might find it 1000x easier to use this autofade expression :)

http://aefreemart.com/2007/05/16/super-useful-expressions-1-autofade/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]