ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Need to edit Hdv2 in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Liesje KraaiNeed to edit Hdv2 in After Effects
by on May 26, 2010 at 2:59:43 pm

So here's the issue:

I shot some green screen footage a few weeks ago on an HD camera. My friend captured it off the camera, in Final Cut Pro on his MAC at his studio. We then transferred the files via external to my PC. A few little hang ups there, but long and the short of it is now I have the files on my Windows HP desktop. The problem now is nothing, CS4 After Effects, Premier or even Quicktime will play/edit them. The file info reads that they are HDV2 codec and the width/height ratios are 1416 by 1062 respectively (which seems a little weird to me). When opened in Quicktime or After Effects it's just a black or white screen. Premier gives me a codec error/missing. So, my question is what codec do I need or what must I do to my computer or these files to be able to edit them?

Please PLEASE help me. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Need to edit Hdv2 in After Effects
by on May 26, 2010 at 3:49:04 pm

[Liesje Kraai] "I shot some green screen footage a few weeks ago on an HD camera. My friend captured it off the camera, in Final Cut Pro on his MAC at his studio. We then transferred the files via external to my PC."

Time to go find your friend and do some extra work, and spend a little dough... or give up on it entirely.

Have your pal export each individual clip using Compressor into either Quicktime's Animation or PNG codecs: they're lossless.
Buy the latest version of Quicktime 7 (NOT Quicktime 10) PRO for Windows (about $35.00) on your machine, and activate the registration code. Noodle around in Quicktime Preferences to make QT read legacy codecs.

You'll then be able to read and write to lossless QT codecs and preserve as much image quality as possible... and you will desperately need it for green screen work.

There's only one thing worse than DV for green screen work, and that's HDV.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Liesje KraaiRe: Need to edit Hdv2 in After Effects
by on May 26, 2010 at 3:53:00 pm

Oh, my gosh! Thank you so much! I'll bug my friend about this and, at this point, HAPPILY drop the 35 bucks for Quicktime 7. I'll follow back up and let you know how it goes. Again, thank you and I'll be happy to hear if anyone else has further suggestions!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]