ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CS4 "Switch Footage" Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Donovan Werts
CS4 "Switch Footage" Question
on May 25, 2010 at 1:27:33 pm

Hi, it seems like I saw a tutorial that showed how to replace, or switch footage in After Effects between the timeline and project window, but I can't find it now. For example: I have a video clip in the timeline with effects, change in opacity, etc, but I want to switch that clip with another one in the project window. Is there a shortcut for this? Will the replacement clip keep the same attributes (effects)? Thanks in advance, Donovan

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: CS4 "Switch Footage" Question
on May 25, 2010 at 1:33:05 pm

Select your layer in the timeline. Drag your new footage from the project window while holding alt (or option, if you're on a Mac) and drop it onto your layer.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Donovan Werts
on May 25, 2010 at 1:43:48 pm

Thanks very much! :)

Return to posts index

Jeri Duke
on Sep 4, 2013 at 1:56:32 pm

I have a similar question: I want to apply or keep the same effects applied in a AE composition to a new composition from Premiere. There seems to be no History window in AE to see which effects I applied in the AE comp.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 25, 2010 at 3:15:09 pm

from After Effects Help:

"To replace the source footage item for a layer with another footage item, without affecting changes made to the layer properties, select the layer and then Alt-drag (Windows) or Option-drag (Mac OS) the new footage item onto the layer in the Timeline panel.

To replace all uses of selected footage items with another footage item, select footage items in the Project panel, and then Alt-drag (Windows) or Option-drag (Mac OS) the new footage item onto a selected footage item in the Project panel."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Bartek Skorupa
on May 25, 2010 at 10:30:07 pm

... or if you don't like "dragging":

Select the footage in the timeline, select the footage you want to replace it to in the project panel and:

Ctl+alt+/ (Win)
Cmd+opt+/ (Mac)

Bartek Skorupa
Warszawa, Poland

Return to posts index

Donovan Werts
on May 25, 2010 at 11:03:21 pm

Some great info! Thanks everyone for helping out!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]