ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

animating a line between the anchor point of two objects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Steele
animating a line between the anchor point of two objects
on May 25, 2010 at 12:25:04 am

I have been looking in the forums but have had no luck, I am sure it is here somewhere because the idea is vaguely familiar to me. Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction.

I need to animate a line that connects two objects two objects which of course are moving. So I am hoping for a method that does not require me to key frame all of the animations. I am pretty sure I have seen a tutorial explaining how to link each end of the line to an anchor point, but I have no idea if this is real or just a late night fantasy.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: animating a line between the anchor point of two objects
on May 25, 2010 at 5:19:10 am

One way is to link the effect control points for the Beam effect to the anchor points of the layers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Steele
on May 25, 2010 at 3:48:38 pm

Worked beautifully thank you!

Return to posts index

Andrew Hoeveler
on Aug 26, 2010 at 5:59:39 pm

How can I get this to work for 3D layers? I've found a post here on creative cow: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/227/8511

But I couldn't understand the Korean, even when using Babelfish, to get it working.
Then I found another post: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/227/6984#12077

But the expressions were out of context, and it didn't work when I tried.

I'm surprised After Effects doesn't just have it in the default tools to draw a line between two points in 3D. That seems pretty basic.
I have 3D stroke as well, but not sure how to program that.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]