ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Path Text won't rasterize

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Dean
Path Text won't rasterize
on May 23, 2010 at 8:07:30 pm

I built a 3D map. For some of the text labels I used "Path Text" with a curved base line.
I built the line art (vector) of the map in Illustrator because I wanted the lines to stay clean when I zoomed in.
Here's the problem. When I click on the rasterize button in my main comp for the comp that has all of my text layers, etc., the text layers using the "Path Text" effect jump to new locations AND they no longer track with all of the other layers in that comp.
Why is this happening? Is there a way to use rasterizing without messing up the Path Text layers?
Thanks

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Adriano Moraes
Re: Path Text won't rasterize
on May 24, 2010 at 12:13:26 am

Hi John.

For what I could understand you got your path text layer precomped. Thing is when you precomp a layer the Continuously Rasterize becomes Collapse Transformations. Those two behave in quite a different way.

Collapse Transformations makes you layer behave by the rules of it´s own precomp. So if you have a 1000x1000 precomp on a 720x480 comp and click on CT switch the precomped layer will jump back to it´s original location inside the precomp. Hope I made myself clear. Sorry if I didn´t.

If I didn´t the lovely folks at adobe probably did it better:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS064964FC-424C-4e5a-A5C3-2160...

Sorry if I missundertood your question mate. Hope I was of some help.

Cheers!

adriano.

Return to posts index

John Dean
on May 25, 2010 at 4:37:16 am

Adriano, Forgive me for not responding sooner, I had a tight deadline to meet. Thank you so much for your quick response. It worked like a charm! Best, John

Return to posts index

Adriano Moraes
on May 25, 2010 at 5:03:28 am

My pleasure John.

I´m glad it worked.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Todd Kopriva
on May 24, 2010 at 12:50:26 am

from the "Path Text effect" section of After Effects Help:
"If you are working on a project that was created in an older version of After Effects and the Path Text effect is applied to one or more layers, you can continue to use the Path Text effect; otherwise, use text layers for greater control over text formatting and text animation."

That, and the fact that this effect is in the Obsolete effects category, are our polite but firm ways of telling you to not use this effect.

If you want text on a path, use text on a path on a text layer. Text layers are always continuously rasterized, so you won't have this problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

John Dean
on May 25, 2010 at 4:40:49 am

Thank you Todd!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]