ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE boggs down my machine real bad

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glen JenningsAE boggs down my machine real bad
by on May 22, 2010 at 12:37:47 am

Is it me or does my Mac Book Pro, running 10.6.2 2.8 GHz Intel Core Duo with 4 GB ram, really get bogged down whenever I am using After Effects, and/or just playing Quicktimes on Quicktime Player.

Does anybody else notice this or have this problems? It's a disappointment because I got this new machine to run faster graphics and video and yet I have problems.

It really seems to choke the machine even when not rendering, I have trouble jumping to other apps like Safari or Quicktime Player.

Any insight or settings to make AE run faster?

Return to posts index

Seth CarlesonRe: AE boggs down my machine real bad
by on May 22, 2010 at 1:09:46 am

I have 8 gigs of ram and also run into performance problems at times. I find that changing my magnification ratio helps things a bit (for instance rendering faster).

Doesn't surprise me though, some pro's have 32 gigs on their machine

Return to posts index

Glen JenningsRe: AE boggs down my machine real bad
by on May 22, 2010 at 1:27:33 am

RE:changing my magnification ratio

forgive my ignorance but can you elaborate?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: AE boggs down my machine real bad
by on May 22, 2010 at 3:12:16 am

There are a bunch of tips for improving performance here.

We can't really help you figure out what's going on without a lot more information, such as what version of After Effects you're using, what kind of footage you're using, and what your Memory & Multiprocessing preferences settings are.

4GB is not very much RAM for using After Effects.

You can _destroy_ your performance if you don't reserve ample memory and processors resources for other software. See these pages for some tips:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: AE boggs down my machine real bad
by on May 23, 2010 at 3:33:11 am

If you dont have multiprocessing on, AE is hard pressed to even use 2 gigs in my experience. I was running CS3 on 3 gigs alongside FCP editing 720p with no performance issues. A few page in/outs if I opened PS or Illustrator. I got 4 more gigs and AE doesnt use it unless i tell it to with multiprocessing.

In short, with 4 gigs- nothing should be bogging unless youve told multiprocessing to use all your cores and ram. Just turn it off with less than 6 gigs. If thats not it check and make sure your ram is actually seen by the system.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved