ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS5 Mac stole my Export to WMV

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ole Jessien
AE CS5 Mac stole my Export to WMV
on May 21, 2010 at 7:37:23 am

Help please.

With CS5 it seems that Adobe has killed off the "Export" using system video codecs.. Which means my purchased Flip4mac WMV export is now gone.

I see the logic in moving everything into the render queue... My problem is just that there is no WMV in the format list under Output Module.

Does anyone know how I get my WMV export back? It is critical for my use of AE.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AE CS5 Mac stole my Export to WMV
on May 21, 2010 at 3:16:46 pm

Can you see the additions Flip4Mac makes to QT Pro? Do you need to uninstall, then reinstall Flip4Mac, perhaps?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 21, 2010 at 3:34:53 pm

Because Apple doesn't provide a 64-bit version of QuickTime, QuickTime can't install export commands in the File > Export menu of the 64-bit After Effects CS5.

We had to write our own 32-bit QuickTime server to communicate with the 32-bit QuickTime software to enable QuickTime codecs at all. So far, we have just done that for .mov files. If you need for us to do that for .dv or .wmv files, too, please submit a feature request. (You might also ask Apple to make a 64-bit version of QuickTime so that this is all eaiser for everyone.)

In the meantime, you can output a losslessly encoded QuickTime movie and then use QuickTime Pro to convert it to WMV. I know that it's an extra step, but it works.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 21, 2010 at 3:58:28 pm

Hey, thanks for the explanation, Todd, this is sure to come up repeatedly.

In an effort to anticipate other comments, could this 64-bit to 32-bit translation step result in longer render times for Quicktime movies?

[Todd Kopriva] "You might also ask Apple to make a 64-bit version of QuickTime so that this is all eaiser for everyone."

It's about time they do. Unfortunately, I don't see Apple breaking its collective neck to change QT in a hurry.

I'd like to see ALL media containers and codecs become OS-neutral. Fat chance of that happening.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 21, 2010 at 4:07:35 pm

> In an effort to anticipate other comments, could this 64-bit to 32-bit translation step result in longer render times for Quicktime movies?

It shouldn't have any noticeable effect on performance, but it may be something to watch out for.

On a related note, the new Adobe QT32 Server process uses TCP to communicate with After Effects, and we have seen a couple of reports of aggressive anti-virus and firewall software blocking communication with that server (even though all of the communication is on the local machine). The result is that After Effects can't "see" QuickTime and thinks that it's not installed. So, if anyone gets a "QuickTime not installed" message, this may be the cause, and loosening the firewall and letting this component communicate allows After Effects to "see" QuickTime. I've just seen a few reports of this, but FYI.

If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 21, 2010 at 4:46:43 pm

[Todd Kopriva] "we have seen a couple of reports of aggressive anti-virus and firewall software blocking communication with that server... The result is that After Effects can't "see" QuickTime and thinks that it's not installed... loosening the firewall and letting this component communicate allows After Effects to "see" QuickTime"

Ooohhh, that's personally good to know. The only way I'm getting CS5 is to put it on my home machine, a Windows box, and I do run antivirus software. The easy fix: disconnect the modem, turn off the antivirus, and THEN run Adobe software.

This leads to another question: the authoritative help documents are actually web pages, so how frequently does the AE Help PDF get updated? When it comes to AE exotica I'm not the brightest candle in the chandelier, and I frequently refer to AE Help.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 21, 2010 at 5:09:37 pm

> Ooohhh, that's personally good to know. The only way I'm getting CS5 is to put it on my home machine, a Windows box, and I do run antivirus software. The easy fix: disconnect the modem, turn off the antivirus, and THEN run Adobe software.

Most firewalls are smart enough to know not to mess with local traffic within the computer, so this shouldn't be necessary. Also, you can tell a firewall to let certain processes communicate freely. And you don't even have to worry about this at all unless you see that error message about QuickTime not being installed.

> This leads to another question: the authoritative help documents are actually web pages, so how frequently does the AE Help PDF get updated?

Roughly once per month, at the exact same time that I update the HTML pages on the Web.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 21, 2010 at 5:15:18 pm

Thanks, Todd, that's good information to know.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jeff Hanley
on Aug 26, 2010 at 9:58:18 pm

Since submitting a feature request is unlikely to result in a solution anytime this decade, a more timely solution is to export the video using the Apple Intermediate codec and then use Sorenson Squeeze to encode the .wmv. Fast, high quality, and available now.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 21, 2010 at 7:58:50 pm

This is not really an answer to your question, but the workflow that Todd is suggesting (render to intermediate lossless, compress that to WMV) will likely give you better results. WMV benefits from multi-pass encoding, but AE is only capable of single-pass.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Ole Jessien
on May 23, 2010 at 2:14:49 pm

Wow. Thanks for some very fulfilling replies. I'm very impressed that I'm getting in direct contact with you the developers. That's awesome!

Just as suggested my current workflow is to first do a default render and then take it through AE CS4 for the WMV export (which btw allows me all the multipass settings etc. that I want).

If adding WMV to the server is "feasible" then that would be a great solution... if that would give full access to the same settings that I had on export in CS4.

Of course it would be brilliant to have all the quicktime plugins right there in export as usual.

Seeing as I'm not a programmer I just don't understand why a 64bit program can't wrap around 32bit execution... Oh well :)

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 23, 2010 at 3:42:31 pm

[Ole Jessien] "Just as suggested my current workflow is to first do a default render and then take it through AE CS4 for the WMV export (which btw allows me all the multipass settings etc. that I want). "

True; File > Export will let you do multi-pass, but you lose all the control you get over your render with the Render Queue, which is why most workflows use intermediates and a third-party compression application.

I'm glad to hear you've found a workflow that's working for you, though, and thanks for posting back with your workaround! I'm sure that this will be an issue for many in the coming months.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dale Jackson
on Jul 6, 2010 at 4:52:46 am

Hmmm, following this thread. Getting the dreaded "No QuickTime installed" error too. On a brand new Windows 7 64-bit. Thing is, there is no QTServer.exe anywhere on this Windows machine. I'm using the trial version of AECS5 to evaluate, but after seeing this problem right off the bat, I'm avoiding CS5 till this is resolved. So back to CS4 on the Windows side. Funny thing is, I'm using AECS5 on a Mac Pro at work, and it's a beautiful thing, no problems.

Return to posts index

Abel van der Drift
on May 8, 2011 at 2:10:59 pm

For all the Windows 7 64 bit + After Effects CS5 users out there:

I had the same problems as many others on the web, the; “QuickTime is not installed on this system…” Bug.

I'm using Windows 7 on a 64 bit pc, which adds an extra "Program Files" Folder for 32 bit app's.

But I fixed it by just simpely uninstalling Quicktime completely and reinstalling it to the 64 bits "Program Files" Folder. (not the Program Files 86X Folder)

It got After Effects with Quicktime running directly after doing this.

Return to posts index

Marco Jacob
on Mar 20, 2012 at 9:28:28 am

I just installed Flip for Mac Pro HD on my IMac OSX 10.7.2

Unfortunately I don't have any function in Adobe AE to render an WMV. I realized its not in the make movie function but its also not in the File > Export menu!

The only way I can get WMV is render a Quicktime movie open it with QT 7 Pro - Not QT X - and export it as WMV.

Is there any way to export a WMV direct from Ae without rendering twice?

Tank You
Marco

Return to posts index

Ole Jessien
on Mar 20, 2012 at 12:54:56 pm

Hi Marco

The short answer is: no.

In AE you export a lossless and then you create the WMV via Quicktime.

This should also have been obvious from reading the thread.

Return to posts index

Marco Jacob
on Mar 20, 2012 at 1:00:14 pm

I just can't believe it so I thought i double check.

Is Apple going the change that soon?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]