ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

photoshop layer styles

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Parksphotoshop layer styles
by on May 21, 2010 at 6:52:20 am

Hello, does anyone have a work around for this problem?
I sometimes import psds to ae and copy and paste layer styles onto layers and it works fine. Recently I bought some templates of layer styles applied to type on a psd, I have tried using these in ae but they never work, the layer styles look merged or flattened.
I have tried converting the type to live in ae, and copy/paste the layer style onto different layers but nothing works. I have tried adjusting the layer styles after pasting them but they don\'t look anywhere near what they did.
Any tips?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: photoshop layer styles
by on May 21, 2010 at 3:26:40 pm

Do they work in Photoshop?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Jack ParksRe: photoshop layer styles
by on May 21, 2010 at 3:45:49 pm

Hello

Yes they look great in photoshop.
They look the same when imported to ae,
it's when I try to copy and paste them or make live type in ae they go wrong.

Thanks

[this is all in cs4 but I'm not sure if the psds were created in cs4]

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: photoshop layer styles
by on May 21, 2010 at 3:48:53 pm

[Jack Parks] "I have tried converting the type to live in ae, and copy/paste the layer style onto different layers but nothing works"

I only use Photoshop documents in AE on rare occasions, and NEVER with layer styles. However, I do recall that AE 9 doesn't support EVERY Photoshop layer style.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a list of supported layer styles -- I haven't had to look for it.

This is something that might have been changed in AE 10. You can have a look for yourself:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/04/after-effects-cs5-new-and-chan.h...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on May 21, 2010 at 3:56:35 pm

There's a list of layer styles that you can apply and edit in After Effects here.

You should be able to copy and paste any layer style within After Effects, even the ones that you can't apply and edit directly in After Effects. If it's not working, then it may be a bug. If you post the PSD with the layer styles where I can grab it, I'll have a look.

If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

by on May 21, 2010 at 4:01:49 pm

Hi,

I have used layer styles before from photoshop in ae, maybe it's a specific layer style that isn't working.
If you have a public email address I can send you the file, I can't post a link.

Thanks

Return to posts index

by on May 21, 2010 at 4:11:07 pm

kopriva [at] adobe [dot] com

Return to posts index

by on May 22, 2010 at 1:48:25 pm

Hi Todd,

I emailed a link from my friends iDisk, did you get it?

Thanks

Return to posts index

by on May 22, 2010 at 2:55:35 pm

Yes, I got it. I'll have a look. It may not be until Monday.

Return to posts index

by on May 24, 2010 at 8:08:24 pm

OK. This was interesting.

When After Effects imports a PSD file, it uses a built-in version of the Photoshop renderer to render the layer styles. There may be a lot of parameters built into the layer style in that PSD that After Effects doesn't know (or care) anything about; but it doesn't need to, since it's just handing off the rendering to the built-in Photoshop renderer.

But, if you tell After Effects to recreate that layer style from scratch, then After Effects must know about and understand each parameter of the layer style. The problem is that After Effects native layer style are quite limited compared with what's possible to create in Photoshop and save in a PSD file. After Effects does the best it can, but the result may miss some important features.

So, why does this matter for live text? When you convert a PSD layer to an After Effects text layer using Convert To Editable Text, After Effects creates a new text layer and then attempts to reconstruct the layer style on the new text layer.

Take a specific example from your classic-metal-text-effects file: the Stroke portion of the layer style applied to the "Liquid top" layer: In Photoshop, that stroke is defined as a gradient stroke using a pop-up menu from which you can choose Color, Gradient, or Pattern. When After Effect tries to recreate this stroke, it can't, because it doesn't know how to create a gradient stroke from scratch; so it falls back to the one entry from that menu that it does have: Color. And the color defined for that stroke in that layer style is red. That's why you end up with a red stroke instead of a gray gradient stroke.

Return to posts index

by on May 24, 2010 at 8:16:48 pm

Oh, I almost forgot an important thing:

We make support for things like layer styles deeper in direct response to customer request. If you'd like, for example, for After Effects to be able to natively handle gradient strokes or pattern overlays (or some other layer style feature), please submit a feature request.

Return to posts index

by on May 25, 2010 at 12:02:13 pm

Hi Todd,

Thanks for taking the time to look into this and explain what is going on.
It's easy to work around this problem, but it's good to know that I wasn't doing something wrong.

I'll look into the feature request.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]