ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rendering a collection of comps into their own quicktimes?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arvin BautistaRendering a collection of comps into their own quicktimes?
by on May 21, 2010 at 12:55:32 am

I'm dealing with having to render a multitude of different comps, that will be getting numerous revisions. Sadly if one comp gets changed I have to render new versions of all the comps, and they all need to be their own quicktimes still. (For example there's a lower third design that keeps getting changed/revised, but the client needs to see it composited into all their output videos to make a proper assessment).

What I'd like to be able to do is easily and braindeadly render all the comps into their own quicktimes. RIght now I'm just duplicating the comps in the render queue, which is okay but since there are so many and they're all so similarly named (with long names, no less), it's easy to accidentally only render some of the necessary comps.

If I didn't have to cut them all up into their own quicktimes I'd've just created one long comp with all the other comps sequenced inside, but obviously I can't do that as they all need to be cut up already.

Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Rendering a collection of comps into their own quicktimes?
by on May 21, 2010 at 5:30:13 pm

I don't understand the problem. If you just need to render and export a bunch of compositions, why can't you just select them all and drag them all to the Render Queue panel? If you have your QuickTime output settings set up as the default output module template, then you're good to go and just need to click Render. Am I missing something that makes what you're trying to do harder?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Arvin BautistaRe: Rendering a collection of comps into their own quicktimes?
by on May 21, 2010 at 5:36:23 pm

It's really not that big of a problem, there was just so much of it I was eager to find any places I could trim seconds off my workflow. The comps themselves are located within their own folders (organizationally I couldn't just keep them all in one folder), and to me doing batch selecting opened me up to the risk of accidentally missing something.

I ended up using a combination of just duplicating the old renders in the render queue as well as using the search form in the project panel to select all the comps I needed to render.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Rendering a collection of comps into their own quicktimes?
by on May 22, 2010 at 7:00:26 pm

[Arvin Bautista] "The comps themselves are located within their own folders (organizationally I couldn't just keep them all in one folder), and to me doing batch selecting opened me up to the risk of accidentally missing something."

How about leaving your project's organization intact, but pre-comping all of the comps you need to render and placing them in a separate "render" folder? They'd still reflect whatever changes you made in the actual comps, and you'd have quick and easy selection for render.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Arvin BautistaRe: Rendering a collection of comps into their own quicktimes?
by on May 22, 2010 at 7:04:50 pm

You know in this particular case that's actually not a bad idea. It doesn't scale very easily (it's yet another precomp I need to remember to make that's unique to each render, and if the durations were to change I'd have to remember to change the length of the enclosing comp as well), but I will definitely keep this in mind. Thanks!

Arvin Bautista
Greasy Pig Studios
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.greasypigstudios.com

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Walter SoykaRe: Rendering a collection of comps into their own quicktimes?
by on May 22, 2010 at 7:15:06 pm

[Arvin Bautista] "It doesn't scale very easily (it's yet another precomp I need to remember to make that's unique to each render, and if the durations were to change I'd have to remember to change the length of the enclosing comp as well)"

True! How about File > Scripts > renderNamedItems.jsx?

That script will prompt you for a string to match, and it will add all comps that include that string to the render queue. So if you added "_RENDER" to the name of all your output comps, you could run the script, and tell it to look for "_RENDER." It'll catch everything, no matter where in your project it is. Much, much cleaner than my first suggestion.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]