ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects CS5 to FILM OUTPUT

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rahul PenumatsaAfter Effects CS5 to FILM OUTPUT
by on May 20, 2010 at 11:37:30 pm

Hi,

My basic question is what is a LUT?

One of the most advertised features in CS5 is the introduction of LUTs, and they say they are used for color consistency and majorly used for in DI for film out. If so can After Effects CS5 w/ Color Finesse 3 be used for grading for film out.

Our company shoots low budget films on RED ONE and since digital projection is not very famous in our area we have to go for film output. We usually approach big studios with LUSTRE / BASELIGHT for color correction and output to film. Frankly speaking the budgets we are working on do not allow this but there is no other option.

Davinci Software seems to be good option as it's cheap as software only for $995 but if after effects can do a good job there's no point going any where else.

Please help me with a workflow for AE and filmout even it's complicated.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: After Effects CS5 to FILM OUTPUT
by on May 21, 2010 at 12:43:06 am

Regarding LUTs: If you have to ask, you don't need it.

Seriously. It's a feature that was added specifically for people who had LUTs already in their workflow and wanted to use them in After Effects.

See this page for the basics of color correction and color grading.

See this section for color management---which has nothing to do with color correction and color grading.

(LUTs can be used for both, which is why I mention them both.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Uli PlankRe: After Effects CS5 to FILM OUTPUT
by on May 21, 2010 at 6:36:23 am

Hi Todd, while we are at it: I know what LUTs are for, but which LUTs are supported in CS5? I tried a few, even from Color Finesse, but AE doesn't like them.

@ Rahul: talk to the film-out facility which LUT they use (if they are willing to share). You can grade in AE, but it's not what I'd call a fluid workflow. Color Finesse is not really integrated into AE: no keyframes, masks or tracking in the full GUI. Do you have access to Apple's Color? I made it cooperate with CS5.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

by on May 21, 2010 at 2:58:01 pm

There's some information about which .3dl or .cube LUT files After Effects can read on this page.

I can't go into detail about what may or may not be coming in a future patch to After Effects CS5, but I can say that the After Effects team is working on improving the LUT feature, and I recommend that you wait a little while before attempting to use this feature in your workflow.

If there are specific LUTs that you want to read and use in After Effects, and they're not working as you expect in After Effects CS5, please send a bug report and request to aebugs [at] adobe [dot] com.

putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 3, 2010 at 11:43:12 pm

The After Effects CS5 (10.0.1) update is available:
http://bit.ly/9ex5Cf

This update fixes several issues with the Apply Color LUT effect, and it adds some additional supported LUT types.

If you have any problems with the update, or if you have bugs to report after you've installed the update, please let us know through the usual channels:
http://bit.ly/93d6NF

Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]