ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Video in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin AsnisVideo in After Effects
by on May 20, 2010 at 9:27:25 pm

Hi,

I am working with Sony EX-3 footage in After Effects and notice a flicker on export. The compressor is XDCAM EX 1080i60 (35 Mb/s VBR). I tried interpreting the fields setting them to separate upper fields first in After Effects and that did not help. My composition setting is HDTV 1080 29.97. What am I doing wrong? I've had the same problem in the past with standard def footage that was uncompressed 10 bit as well.

Thanks,

Ben

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Video in After Effects
by on May 20, 2010 at 9:32:57 pm

[Benjamin Asnis] "I am working with Sony EX-3 footage in After Effects and notice a flicker on export. "

Sorry, but "flicker" is not very descriptive for video. Does this mean that the picture gets lighter and darker, as a candle might flicker in the breeze? If not,can you elaborate?

I already suspect your xdcam footage is the culprit, but I don't know for sure....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Benjamin AsnisRe: Video in After Effects
by on May 20, 2010 at 11:14:13 pm

There is a strobing effect on movement sort of a 24p look when it was not shot in 24p. It is 29.97. I'm looking for a way to maintain that video look. There is no darker or lighter effect though.

Thanks,

Ben

Return to posts index

by on May 21, 2010 at 3:04:21 pm

Have you ever watched a movie that included shots that were obviously electronic? A TV screen, a radar display, an infrared camera, a videoconference... something like that?

A movie is shot at 24fps. Yet these images are obviously electronic. Thus, there is more to a "video look" than just the frame rate.

Since I work exclusively in video, I have never had to try to get a "video look": it's already there.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Video in After Effects
by on May 21, 2010 at 4:40:27 pm

Does the raw footage play back the way you like and it's just in AE that you see this problem?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Benjamin AsnisRe: Video in After Effects
by on May 21, 2010 at 6:00:42 pm

The raw footage plays back fine in final cut pro, it just doesn't look right after I make movie in After Effects.

Also if this helps at all the Sony EX-3 shoots full HD.

Return to posts index

by on May 21, 2010 at 5:10:25 pm

Okay, your footage is causing the problem. I just googled XDCam EX, and found this on Wikipedia:

"Sony introduced XDCAM EX with the PMW-EX1 camera in November 2007... It offers a similar recording profile to XDCAM HD... The recorded video is carried in an MP4 file wrapper..."

So what do you do? Read on...

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]