ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Simultaneous Per Character Random 3D Spin

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Corbin GrossSimultaneous Per Character Random 3D Spin
by on May 20, 2010 at 8:56:44 pm

So I'd like to have the letters in my title slowly ease from various x/y/z rotations to flat all at the same time.

I got the rotations parameters all figured out but they all turn the same direction, or resolve their positions sequentially. How can they all turn a different direction and then all become aligned in one, unified motino?

Does this make any sense?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Simultaneous Per Character Random 3D Spin
by on May 20, 2010 at 9:42:34 pm

General animation tip:

If you want things to resolve (converge) to a static state from a random or dynamic set of movements, start with the static ("hero") frame and animate the _divergence_ from this state. Then reverse this in time.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Corbin GrossRe: Simultaneous Per Character Random 3D Spin
by on May 21, 2010 at 7:31:22 pm

So I'll attach two videos with text animated in a way that is not what I'm looking to do. Both of these have all the letters turned the same way. I like how they resolve their position but I'd like them to all start turned different directions.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Simultaneous Per Character Random 3D Spin
by on May 21, 2010 at 10:05:47 pm

You'll need an Expression Selector applied to your animator after your Range Selector for this task.

The Expression Selector is able to modify the previous selector using expressions. So if you applied this expression:

seedRandom(textIndex, true); //seeds the random number based on the character index and only evaluates once (doesn't change random numbers over time)
selectorValue * random(-1, 1); //multiplies the previous selector's value by a random number in the range of -1 (opposite of the previous selector's selection) to 1 (same as the previous selector's selection)

You would get your desired result simply by giving your text it's starting rotation position in the animator, and then animating the range selector's "Amount" property (under Advanced) from 100% to 0%.

If you entered 1x +0.0° for Z rotation, then each character will begin with a random Z rotation between 360° (fully selected) and -360° (opposite of fully selected... remember the -1 in our expression selector?) and animate down to 0° Z rotation (0% amount * any number that our expression selector comes up with is still 0% amount).

I can clarify if you have any questions.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved