ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Pulling element out of a map

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
Pulling element out of a map
on May 20, 2010 at 4:24:31 pm

Ok, not like a space zoom in. What I have is a map of the world and I have a few photos that I'd like to connect with areas on the map. I thought I'd use expressions or parenting to create that look of a photo that has a line from each corner extending down from the photo to a single point on the map. It'd be great if it could zoom out from the map. There any quick tuts on this before I reinvent the wheel?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Pulling element out of a map
on May 20, 2010 at 4:52:20 pm

Ok, my non expression method... must be a better way. Create an inverted pyramid shape with 5 3D layers. 1 square and 4 traingles. The image is essentially the bottom of the pyramid. Parent the triangular sides to the bottom image. The triangles of course all come to a singluar point. Move the anchor point of the square image in z space to the point. Now, scale just the z parameter of the square image and it zooms forward or back, lengthening the trailing pyramid shape behind it. Maybe it's 101 but I just haven't had to do any zspace scaling that I can remember. Very useful.

But there's gotta be a better way that's more accurate and automated.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on May 20, 2010 at 5:16:26 pm

You could use multiple instances of the Beam effect. And tie the end points to your photo's corners.

This page talks about how to do such a 2d layer effect point to a 3d position, basically use this expression.
L = thisComp.layer("Null 1");
L.toComp([0,0,0]);

Where Null 1 is the name of the layer it's tracking.

You can either put a null in each corner of your pic with expressions (picwhip position and offset them to the corners in the expression + or - however many pixels)

Or you could tie it directly to the picture layer itself and just + or - in the expression.

There are actually tons of ways to do it. Perhaps others will have some alternatives.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on May 20, 2010 at 5:53:23 pm

I think you may be able to use Zaxwerks Serpentine on this. I know it tracks a layer, so if your layer is the picture, scale the Serpentine to match the pict size and play with opacity/transfer modes.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 20, 2010 at 9:07:08 pm

Thanks all. Going to follow up on those ideas. Always open for more!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]