ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects and Aspect Ratio—Arrrrrrrgh!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ned DidryAfter Effects and Aspect Ratio—Arrrrrrrgh!
by on May 20, 2010 at 3:23:33 pm

I swear I have read everything ever published on the web (wellllll, at least almost everything) about creating images in Photoshop (CS5) and importing them into After Effects (CS5), and using the Photoshop templates, and letting After Effects manage the aspect ratio according to format and and and and....

And I have used the Photoshop templates (in this case DV-1), and imported the images into After Effects (for a DV-1 composition), and checked it in After Effects using the "Toggle Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction" button, and *STILL* when I output it to Quicktime, the Photoshop-created images are distorted! The people in them look fat!

Tearing my hair out, banging my head on the desk, and holding my mouth just right have availed me nothing. Nothing!

I already read the tutorial somebody posted on here, and downloaded the project files:
Understanding the use of square vs non-square pixels in AE

I'm glad somebody understands it. I hope somebody can help me understand it, because nothing I do works.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects and Aspect Ratio—Arrrrrrrgh!
by on May 20, 2010 at 3:37:40 pm

I often work in 960x720 DVCPro HD comps, with a pixel aspect ratio of 1.33.

In those comps, regularly use footage shot in DVCPro 50 (0.9 PAR), and stills from a DSLR (1.0 PAR).

I do NOTHING to to change pixel aspect ratios on the footage. AE handles it just fine: it's smart that way. Nothing EVER looks too wide or too skinny.

I think you might be trying to do the work AE does automatically.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: After Effects and Aspect Ratio—Arrrrrrrgh!
by on May 20, 2010 at 3:52:28 pm

yep, i think you are over thinking or trying too hard... try getting any old jpeg off the internet and dropping it into a comp that is the normal size and par for what you work with, then render that and import it into what ever the next step is for that footage, like an nle or back into ae (quicktime is not the best for par correction, it varies by codec).

it should look correct (not fat or skinny).

i almost always work with square pixel images in photoshop when working with non-square comps and have no problems with letting adobe handle the par correction. however, if capturing images/stills from a video source, you may need to tell photoshop what the native par is for those images before taking them into ae....

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: After Effects and Aspect Ratio—Arrrrrrrgh!
by on May 20, 2010 at 4:55:43 pm

Yep, the rub can come when you happen to work in a particular size, like 720x480 in photoshop, but you're working in square pixels. After effects will potentially see that comp as DV pixel aspect and adjust accordingly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved