ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

CS5 rotobrush question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelly HuffakerCS5 rotobrush question
by on May 20, 2010 at 5:25:20 am

I'm just dabbling with the new Rotobrush feature in AE CS5. I just wanted to make sure that I am getting this flow correct. After I finish rotoing what I need done, and tweaking with it whenever the roto is off, I hit "freeze" to render it out onto it's own layer? So If I wanted to use the roto layer as a mask for the layer underneath what do I do? I'm trying to do an overly-used skit involving lightsabers and the Andrew Kramer preset. Sometimes the lightsaber will pass behind the subject, and so I need to mask out the subject. I figured that I can use the new Rotobrush to my advantage. THanks guys

Canon 550D, 50mm 1.8, 28-135mm, Adobe CS4 Production Premium, Neo Scene, Velbon DV-7000

Return to posts index

Adriano MoraesRe: CS5 rotobrush question
by on May 20, 2010 at 12:32:17 pm

I don´t know your outcome but I risk to say I would use a duplicate of the "roto-tooled" image (tinted black or white) as a mate for the saber.

Hope I´m not talking nonsense.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: CS5 rotobrush question
by on May 20, 2010 at 3:44:19 pm

Another thing to keep in mind with RotoBrush: it's usually best to let it figure out the edges of the subject without a lot of coaxing from you. In other words, make your initial green stroke in the center of the subject, and let AE find the edge. If it can't, than add more green strokes. You sort of work from the center to the edge.

It doesn't hurt to use the red, "this-isn't-part-of-the-subject" strokes in questionable areas of the background.... again, as sparingly as possible.

RotoBrush: the thing is flippin' software Voodoo.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: CS5 rotobrush question
by on May 20, 2010 at 2:52:12 pm

The workflow with the Roto Brush effect isn't really any different than the workflow with any transparency-creating effect (e.g., keying effects) in this regard. By using the Roto Brush effect, you create a matte. You can use this layer as an alpha matte for another copy of the layer.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved