weapon flashlight

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
efraim or
weapon flashlight
on May 19, 2010 at 6:58:29 pm

hi guys.
working right now on a war scene.
taped my camera to the m-16 for this one, wanted to create first person view.

now, i need to create a flashlight on the m- 16.
i guess ill just use spot light and LUX.
the thing is, i have NO IDEA how to create the flashlight device.
need to create something like:
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/t_152000066_1.jpg

after ill have the flashlight device ill motion track the weapon and parent it to it, i dont think it will be too hard.
i just need to figure out how to create in AE a flashlight.

any ideas guys?
thank you.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: weapon flashlight
on May 19, 2010 at 9:35:51 pm

[efraim or] "after ill have the flashlight device ill motion track the weapon and parent it to it, i dont think it will be too hard. "

Think again, sir. It's going to be extremely, agonizingly hard... if not downright impossible to do in AE.

I think I included the following admonition in an earlier post to you, but apparently the message didn't sink in:

Dave's Stock Answer #2:

When you're out on a shoot, and you say, "we'll fix this in post" without knowing PRECISELY HOW you're going to fix it in post, don't shoot it! You'll only end up shooting it over again.

Since post typically costs three times the cost of production, fixing something in post is not a way to save money, but rather a way to spend more of it.

And, before you say "well fix it in post," always consider who's doing the work, especially if you're the one doing the work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Kaplan
on May 19, 2010 at 9:44:59 pm

You'll likely need to use a 3D tracker (like Buju or PF Track) then import your tracking data into a 3D program where you'll model / texture / light / & animate your flashlight. Lastly, you'll bring your 3D render into AE for composite! If you don't know how to do all that - re-shoot!

Jeff Kaplan
Point 360 WEST
Animation & VFX Department
http://www.point360west.com

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on May 19, 2010 at 9:51:02 pm

Dave is right, by the time you 3-D solve, learn a 3-d program, make an awesome looking cgi flashlight model, you could have re-shot the take and still have saved a lot of time/money. Cgi is almost never cheaper. Even the new predator movie is going for less cgi.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

efraim or
on May 19, 2010 at 10:50:43 pm

ok ok, lets forget from the flashlight device.
I still can use spotlight and LUX, and to parent it to the m-16, right?
the spotlight effect cant be done in the movie, only in the AE, no?

Dave, you said ill need to re-shoot the footage, so ok, lets say i will -
but what should i do while filming my movie again?
simply to add flashlight on the m-16 and THEN film again?
saving me the trouble to add it in AE, right?

thank you all guys for all the help.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Kaplan
on May 20, 2010 at 12:30:53 am

Tape the flashlight onto the M-16 for sure. For the sake of an easy motion track you may want to get a vibrant piece of green tape or a sticker to place on the end flashlight (make sure you can see the sticker in frame). In addition, you may want to shoot all of your "first person" gun moves in front of a green screen (if you are wearing camo use a blue screen). That will prevent you from doing a great deal of gun / flashlight rotoscoping (you need that gun and flashlight to be a foreground object separate from the background so you can composite that light between the two).

-Good Luck

Jeff Kaplan
Point 360 WEST
Animation & VFX Department
http://www.point360west.com

Return to posts index

efraim or
on May 20, 2010 at 12:57:36 am

thank you.
btw, rotoscoping is quit simple with cs5, with the rotobrush.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on May 20, 2010 at 10:51:27 am

Put the flashlight on your gun in real life. No question.
When you say "the spotlight effect cant be done in the movie, only in the AE, no?" I assume you mean that you can't see the beam of light when you're shooting and you want that beam effect like you always see in tv shows and film. Doing this in After Effects will be very time-consuming. Get a fog machine or find some other way of fogging up the air a bit and you'll have that beam effect.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on May 20, 2010 at 8:13:47 pm

Now this might just be me, but if you taped the camera on the M16, that means the gun will always be in the same place in the frame and everything else moves. If that is so, why would you need to track the M16? And getting a flash light on should be easy- all you need is a still of a flashlight which you can take with any digital camera. Then add the light and Lux. However, this will not create shadows moving on the objects in your frame- so re-shoot with a powerful light attached to your M16, and add light and lux in post for beam.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]