ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

only 6 seconds of ram preview!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Diana Gandila
only 6 seconds of ram preview!
on May 19, 2010 at 6:16:34 pm

I know there are other threads about rendering, but I've read some and I just can't seem to find a solution to my problem.

I shot my footage HD, but only at 1440 x 1080 because the camera can't film full HD. I edited it in premiere, but I needed some AE effects. So here comes the problem:

I imported like 12 seconds of my footage in AE and after working on it (3 layers, 1 mask), I pushed the RAM preview button. Everytime it stops after 6 seconds of the footage. I don't know why. I've tried then with a footage of 6 seconds lenght, tried the RAM preview, all went well, but I can't cut my 15 minute-film in 6 second pieces only for the AE to accept it.
I think the problem with the 6 seconds might be because I only have 2GB of RAM, but.. 6 seconds? Really? Should I upgrade to 4GB? Or are there any settings that I'm not aware of? (I haven't worked much in AE)

any tip would be great, thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: only 6 seconds of ram preview!
on May 19, 2010 at 9:30:21 pm

[Diana Gandila] "Everytime it stops after 6 seconds of the footage. I don't know why."

Oh I do.......

[Diana Gandila] "I think the problem with the 6 seconds might be because I only have 2GB of RAM, but.. 6 seconds?"

Yup. In AE-Land, 2GB ain't nothin'. Lots of heavy AE users have 32 -- count 'em, thirty two -- gigs on their machines. Your OS probably won't allow you to install that much.

[Diana Gandila] "Should I upgrade to 4GB?"

Absolutely. If you intend to upgrade to AE 10 (aka CS5), you'll have to do more than that! You'll have to get a 64-bit operating system like Win 7: that's a must. And with a 64 bit OS, you can put LOTS more than 4GB RAM on your box.

AE is a RAM hog, and that's no bull.

Here's some good info on RAM Previews, including skipping frames:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906...

...and an often-overlooked feature called the Region of Interest:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906...

Another way to extend RAM Previews are to set the comp window to a smaller size and a lower resolution.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: only 6 seconds of ram preview!
on May 20, 2010 at 10:48:08 am

Dave is very, very right.
Also, don't forget that you can set your RAM preview to go from where your timline indicator is, rather than from the beginning of the comp. That way you can preview your whole comp in pieces. Also, if you lower your resolution to half, check out how much more you can RAM preview!

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]