ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Video Copilot's Optical Flares vs Knoll Light Factory

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Scott
Video Copilot's Optical Flares vs Knoll Light Factory
on May 19, 2010 at 5:09:42 am

Does anyone have experience with both Video Copilot's Optical Flares plug-in and Knoll Light Factory?

Any preferences either way, or recommendations as to what the strengths and weaknesses of both are?

Thanks for any info.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Video Copilot's Optical Flares vs Knoll Light Factory
on May 19, 2010 at 6:53:03 am

I've been using the Knoll Lens Flare plugin in it's various forms since beta 1.0 and I have had no reason to look for something else. From what I have read about Optical Flare it seems to be a great flare plugin as well, but it did not give me a reason to change from Knoll.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on May 19, 2010 at 1:19:14 pm

Since Knoll Light Factory introduced the add-on that makes their flares follow lights and behave in 3d the advantage of Optical Flares got much smaller. It still has some neat stuff like the dirt on the lens that KLF doesn't, but they are very similar and I love my Knoll.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Alperen T. Ayhan
on May 20, 2010 at 2:45:26 am

I have both "KLF" and "VC OF".. Mostly I prefer VC OF. I don't know but it gives me more than I expect. eg: in my presentation video ( http://shorts.creativecow.net/film/presentation-demo-of-sinamasal-rto-by-al... ),the first and second smoke trails are KLF the last smoke trails over the clouds are VC OF.. but this is only one example, you may need something much more different.. choice is yours..

Alperen T. AYHAN
http://www.sinamasal.com
Always cinema...

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Thanks guys
on May 20, 2010 at 5:30:56 am

Thanks to all for your input.

Return to posts index

Arvin Bautista
Re: Thanks guys
on May 21, 2010 at 1:00:41 am

If I didn't have either and had to get one or the other I'd probably pick VCOF without hesitation... the 3d integration and massive customizability (If I wanted it) is enough, and the price is right.

But seeing as how I already have KLF and don't have the funds to get OF right now, I'm making do with what I've got, and for the most part I haven't felt much of a pinch.

Though I guess since it's gonna be time to upgrade to CS5 plugins soon, I may finally just cave for VCOF. since I'd be spending money either way, the financial advantage to sticking with KLF is dampened.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Thanks guys
on May 21, 2010 at 12:33:46 pm

Knoll Light Factory now does 3d integration too. Check out their website, they have a free download there that adds some great functionality.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]