Painting issues in After Effects CS5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Hughes
Painting issues in After Effects CS5
on May 19, 2010 at 4:46:39 am

Hi

I just installed CS5 Master collection.

A question about painting in After Effects CS5.

I want to be able to paint directly into a composition so that I can see layers below (for some simple character cell animation)

Is it true that that is not possible with Paint (that you have to do it in a layer window and therefore you can’t see layers below while you are painting)?

Now that Vector Paint and Wriggler have been removed is there any way to paint directly into a composition? I saw mention of Cult Effects Paint (that Adobe have bought) and that this may replace Vector paint. Can you tell me if the situation with this?

Does anyone have an alternation that is like vector paint/wriggler.

I feel sad...

Thanks.

Cheers
Chris

Return to posts index

ryan kelly
Re: Painting issues in After Effects CS5
on May 19, 2010 at 4:00:03 pm

Hi there,

You can paint on top of a composition if you pre-compose it first...

-ryan

Return to posts index

Chris Hughes
on May 19, 2010 at 10:34:41 pm

Thanks ryan

I've worked out a workflow of cutting and pasting the paint effect from the precomp to a layer and then moving that into the precomp that will allow me to do what I want.

The other part is that wriggler was a really good way of easily animating and distorting line width and creating texture. What effects can I use to do that now that wriggler is no more?

Cheers
Chris

Return to posts index

Hao Yang Hu
on Jul 30, 2014 at 5:37:44 pm

Thank you!!!! I was trying to do the same thing - just do a pre comp and then you can paint on it! Thanks for the tip

Return to posts index

Sean Morris
on Nov 17, 2011 at 6:10:21 am

Hey Chris ~

Not sure if you're still looking for an answer to this (I see this thread is from a while ago), but I was having a similar problem and found your post. Since then I found this YouTube video that solved my issues:

Now granted my goal was just to have some simple geometric shapes (arrows, boxes, circles, etc) "drawn" on top of my composition, so this worked like a charm. Not sure if it would be a solution for what you're trying to do. But even if the pen tool isn't what you're using, maybe you could still use the stroke filter to set your layer to a transparency and then animate on top of that?

Best,
Sean

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]