ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CS5 and ProRes 4444 alpha channels

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Douglas DeVore
CS5 and ProRes 4444 alpha channels
on May 18, 2010 at 8:12:45 pm

It appears that CS5 does not support alpha channels embedded in ProRes 4444, although CS4 and CS3 do. Has anybody found a workaround to this problem? There's a thread on the Adobe forums with a couple of suggestions, but no absolute working solution yet.

Thanks,
Doug

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: CS5 and ProRes 4444 alpha channels
on May 18, 2010 at 8:57:30 pm

Let's eliminate the obvious problem: you DO have AE 10 installed on the same machine with FCP, correct?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Douglas DeVore
on May 18, 2010 at 9:12:04 pm

Certainly a valid question! Yes, AE CS5 is installed on the same machine as FCP. I also have CS3 on the same machine which does honor the alpha channel from ProRes 4444.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 18, 2010 at 10:50:22 pm

Hmmmm.... it seems AE 10 has some fundamental problems with footage. I've heard stories about its inability to work properly with aiff files. Aiff's, for heaven's sake!

If you haven't done so already, I'd fill out an Adobe bug report:
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Although it doesn't help your current situation, I get the notion there will be an AE version 10.0.2 in the VERY near future.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 19, 2010 at 1:38:05 am

Do you have AJA codecs installed?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ramirez
on May 24, 2010 at 7:31:45 pm

Unfortunately, there is a known bug with alpha in ProRes4444 in CS5. We're actively working to fix it in a future patch. In the meantime, here's a workaround that will restore the ability to see the alpha channel in ProRes footage:
-----

If you are experiencing this problem on Mac, here is a temporary workaround(originally posted here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/628662?decorator=print&displayFullThread=tru... until this can be fixed in a future dot release:

1. Close any production premium apps (e.g. Ae, Pr)

2. Locate the MediaCoreQTCodecRulesCS5.xml file in your user Library/Preferences/Application Support/Adobe/Common folder

3. Make a duplicate copy of this file in case you need to roll back later

4. Edit the file and locate the 'ap4h', 'mactel' entries for both encode AND decode. Change the deepdecodefourcc to' b64a' to exactly match the following example lines:

5. Launch AE and try your footage again. Please note that exports to ProRes 444 in AE will also use the QT codec. Keep an eye out for possible differences in metadata content or embedded color profile.

On Windows, the fix is similar but the .xml file is located in your user AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\ directory and the entries for codec= 'ap4h' and platform='windows' need to be modified instead.

Dan Ramirez
After Effects
QA Engineer

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 26, 2010 at 11:58:34 pm

I've just published a blog post that addresses this issue:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/05/prores-4444-and-prores-422-in.ht...

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Douglas DeVore
on Jul 16, 2010 at 10:09:17 pm

This solved my problem. Thanks. I had to reload the ProRes footage in existing upgraded projects I'd already saved in CS5 before this fix and reset the interpretation of the alpha. Then everything worked beautifully.

Return to posts index

Michael Heid
on Apr 10, 2011 at 2:13:14 pm

I've got another thing to add with this issue. I have a "4-color-gradient" applied to a solid and animated the opacity from 100 to 0. With the 4444 alpha render, there is no alpha channel created. There must be a bug with 4 Color Gradient and Prores4444 cause it renders the alpha fine in Animation codec but registers no alpha in prores4444 - even with Adobe's workaround applied for alpha in 4444 and version 10.0.1

Return to posts index

Haley Stibbard
on Sep 10, 2010 at 11:22:52 am

Hi

I have tried this on the adobe blog and it didnt work. I do still have cs4 installed would hat be the problem u think? i do know of the work arounds, but i would like to fix the bug and not have to swap to 16bit etc or turn off the broadcast monitors.

Strangely enough, we have just installed an almost identical mac system the only difference is that it came with the full version of cs5 not an upgrade and cs4 is not installed at all. I dont want to uninstall cs4 tho in case cs5 turns up more bugs..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]