ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

opacity problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Diana Gandilaopacity problem
by on May 18, 2010 at 1:17:14 pm

Hello guys! I need a piece of advice from you..

So I have this movie about dreams. In a particular scene, a girl is sleeping, covered by her blanket. What I need to do here is to show her having an out of body experience. I mean, her spirit wakes up and leaves the body, without the actual body to move.
At first I thought I could do this using one layer over the other and playing with opacity, but that's not really working, because the bottom layer is reduced in opacity as well, even thought I didn't reduced it. Also, the spirit moves the blanket when he gets up and the blanket should have the 100% opacity.
Is there any way I could do this properly?

Here is a snapshot with the image:

Return to posts index

Chris ButtacoliRe: opacity problem
by on May 18, 2010 at 2:40:15 pm

Try using the sleeping layer at opacity 100%, and put the the spirit layer on top with the opacity at 50%. That should get you mostly where your trying to get.

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: opacity problem
by on May 18, 2010 at 2:41:03 pm

Hello Diana,

Duplicate a copy of the layer one on top of the other, and on the upper layer version use Blend Modes, to see how it affects your image, season with a bit of opacity control on that layer and if you balance the proper Blend Mode with the right amount of opacity, it will look right.

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes and serve hot. I like mine ala mode, thank you.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: opacity problem
by on May 18, 2010 at 2:46:00 pm

I think you will have to reshoot. The spirit layer is always going to move the blanket.

A solution without reshooting will involve some rotoscoping.

You can cut off the spirit where it's under the blanket. In fact, you might just have the upper part of the body showing until she swings her feet off the couch, then make them slowly reveal using a feathered mask. I think that would have an interesting visual effect anyway.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: opacity problem
by on May 18, 2010 at 2:42:47 pm

You'll need to animate a mask around the subject. By doing that, you eliminate the portions of the shot that make the sleeping subject look semi-transparent as well.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: opacity problem
by on May 18, 2010 at 3:21:35 pm

If you can re-shoot the woman sleeping without a blanket ( and this can even be a still)then you can roto the blanket to leave it at full opacity and do a 50% of the "spirit" getting up while moving the blanket. This way you'll have the blanket reveal the sleeping woman's body underneath.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved