ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Photo Work Flow After Effects Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosie WalunasPhoto Work Flow After Effects Final Cut Pro
by on May 17, 2010 at 8:29:30 pm

I'm doing a piece in Final Cut Pro in which I will be using hundreds of photos. I would like to do some things in After Effects then bring the motion graphics into FCP. This is in 16x9 native. I would like any advice on work flow patterns, and any tips to reduce render time as there will be many photographs.

Thank you kindly.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Photo Work Flow After Effects Final Cut Pro
by on May 17, 2010 at 8:54:30 pm

[Rosie Walunas] "This is in 16x9 native. "

Sorry, but that doesn't make much sense; it certainly isn't very descriptive. You could be talking about standard definition or high definition, and we're not sure which.

If you can tell us the frame rate, horizontal resolution, vertical resolution and codec of your FCP edit timeline, then we'll know what you're talking about. If you haven't figured it out yet, now is the time to do so. Keep in mind that you'll eventually record to tape or make a file for Blu-Ray or DVD, so you'll want to get things settled on the FCP end FIRST.

If you intend to time the pictures' movements to audio, it's a lot easier to get those timings down in FCP.

In AE, make sure your pictures are large enough to pan & zoom on them. Keep in mind that AE knows NOTHING about the concept of DPI -- it only knows about pixels. In AE, 2-inch wide picture at 300 dpi and a 4-inch wide picture at 150 dpi are precisely the same size: 600 pixels wide.

If you don't know about Bezier keyframes, hold keyframes and linear keyframes, you should learn NOW.

And if you've never used AE before, don't undertake the project in AE. You need to learn some basics first. Many a good-intentioned soul have given up on AE projects simply because they thought to themselves, "How tough can this stuff be, anyway?"

They quickly learn it's tougher than they thought.

Here's an excellent place to get started: lots of valuable information:

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved