ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Pasting Multiple Path Keyframes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek Frentzen
Pasting Multiple Path Keyframes
on May 17, 2010 at 4:38:33 pm

Hello everyone.

I am working with a complex image and created a large number of masks using the auto trace tool (about 320). I am interested in adding the path keyframes of each mask to a separate null layer, and am looking for a way besides copy and pasting each individual set of values from each mask.

I am using CS5.

I have noticed that when selected each mask and pressing "U" to see the values with keyframes, it causes the entire tree to minimize back to it parent.

Any suggestions of linking each of these mask values to a separate null layer?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Pasting Multiple Path Keyframes
on May 17, 2010 at 5:19:15 pm

[Derek Frentzen] "I... created a large number of masks using the auto trace tool (about 320)..."

Do you you actually WANT all those masks? Depending on your settings, auto trace creates masks around things you have no interest in. You may be able to simplify your task considerably by deleting unwanted masks on a duplicate of the auto traced layer... duplicated for safety's sake.

[Derek Frentzen] "...I am interested in adding the path keyframes of each mask to a separate null layer..."

Sorry, but you can't mask a null. You'll have to use either a solid or an adjustment layer. Whichever you choose, make sure it has the same H&V resolution and pixel aspect ratio as the auto-trace layer.

[Derek Frentzen] "i... am looking for a way besides copy and pasting each individual set of values from each mask. "

To my knowledge, copy and paste is the only way to do it. That's why I recommended deleting unwanted masks.

You CAN copy all the wanted masks to one solid, then duplicate the solid X minus 1 times for X number of masks. You can then carefully delete masks on each solid, ending with one unique mask per solid. It might be a little easier than the copy & paste method.

Okay, there's one more way: make x number of solids for x number of masks, create a mask for each, and use an expression pick-whip to one of the masks in the auto trace layer. It's not any easier than the methods above, it won't save any more time, and if might even take longer to render.

If there's a script out there that reads the number of masks in a selected layer, creates a like number of solids, and assigns one mask per solid, I sure don't know about it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]