ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

CS5 roto tool? Correcting badly shot blue screen.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard DaviesCS5 roto tool? Correcting badly shot blue screen.
by on May 17, 2010 at 11:10:04 am

I am trying to edit a short video that includes about 5 minutes of various blue screen shots. Unfortunately, due to poor lighting/subject being too close to the screen, there are some major shadows. I have AE CS3 and keylight has really struggled. I have tried choker matte etc, and I get super flicker on the edges/darker parts of my subject.

The solution to this, I assume after reading the forums, is to just put in a lot of hard work and mask all shots. I'm happy to do this, however, I feel sure I have seen a tutorial somewhere for a roto tool that acts in a similar way to the magnetic lasso tool in photoshop. From what I remember, the tool automatically detects edges when you run the (brush?) near it. I assume the 'magnetism' level can be adjusted.

I can see how this would be a lot easier for my particular task, as the edges of the subject are very pronounced, it's just the darkness that prevents the keylight working correctly.

Am I imagining this magic tool (I can't find the tutorial now!), or is there anything similar I can use in AE CS3???

Kind regards,

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: CS5 roto tool? Correcting badly shot blue screen.
by on May 17, 2010 at 1:44:26 pm

You are talking about the Roto Brush. It is a grand new invention for CS5. There is nothing like it in any earlier version. Here are a bunch of resources on rotoscoping. They're from CS4, but the tools are identical in CS3.

However, this might do the trick in assisting your keying.

Also this.

And this.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Richard DaviesRe: CS5 roto tool? Correcting badly shot blue screen.
by on May 17, 2010 at 2:27:35 pm

Thank you very much for your response. I have tried all of the tutorials apart from the Dave LaRonde method, which seems to have helped considerably!

I will give the roto links a good read and try to implement what I learn.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved