ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Paint Splatter to Reveal Image

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Faraz Mozafarian
Paint Splatter to Reveal Image
on May 14, 2010 at 8:56:40 pm

Hello,

I have a .PNG of a paint splatter graphic. I want to have various instances of this paint splatter to reveal the image underneath. I have tried creating a mask of the splatter using auto trace, then applying that mask to the image and using the expansion property to animate the mask but I CANNOT get it to work.

What am I doing wrong? Is there another way to do this?

Thanks in Advance.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Paint Splatter to Reveal Image
on May 15, 2010 at 11:57:28 am

Does the Png have alpha built in? If so build your animation of the splatter(s) to fill the screen or whatever amt you want to eventually reveal. Precompose that. Beneath that place the layer to be revealed. Change it's mode to alpha matte. There you go.

Now if you need it to be revealed FROM another image like a wipe, then just add that layer to the bottom.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 15, 2010 at 4:45:59 pm

Use the image as a track matte. The image doesn't need to have an alpha channel; you can use the luminance values and use the image as a luma matte. If you want to animate the expansion (splattering), then apply the Simple Choker effect to the matte layer and animate the Choke Matte property. You can scale the matte layer at the same time, so the splat grows.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Faraz Mozafarian
on May 17, 2010 at 5:34:30 pm

Thanks Guys. Both these methods worked.

TODD,

The simple choke method worked however it had limitations. I wanted the splatter to animate from nothing on screen to revealing the whole splatter but I couldn't push the value far enough to have it start from nothing. (I hope that made sense) Is there anyway around that?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 17, 2010 at 5:36:42 pm

[Faraz Mozafarian] "...I couldn't push the value far enough to have it start from nothing. (I hope that made sense) Is there anyway around that?"

Did you use multiple instances of Simple Choker?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Faraz Mozafarian
on May 17, 2010 at 5:40:49 pm

No. I just used one instance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 17, 2010 at 7:38:52 pm

Well, you should add more instances and see what happens.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Faraz Mozafarian
on May 17, 2010 at 8:26:44 pm

Got It!

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved